Question

Student
UshnaM
Message 1 of 22 (33,321 Views)

HP G62 bad battery life :(

So I bought my G62 in September of 2010, and over the past four months I've noticed my battery life is horrible.

I'm a full time student and I'm constantly in lectures, so I need my battery to last a while. From the get go I switched my power plan to power saver, always have the screen dimmed to the lowest setting, and keep my wireless off. I don't have any programs running other than OneNote (to take notes) and make sure that there are no useless programs running in the background. I've even gone into the advanced power settings and tried to change those to make the battery last longer but I've had no luck.

My battery always seems to hit low at the 1:30 or 2 hour mark, and I'm really stressed out about it. I make sure that I charge it to 100% and when I'm at home I plug it in right when it lets me know it is low on power.

Is there any way I can extend my battery life to atleast 3 hours? I want to avoid buying another laptop because I have all my schools stuff on this one, but I wouldn't mind buying another battery if it would work for sure.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do, thank you :smileyhappy:

Master's Graduate
phttech
Message 2 of 22 (33,298 Views)

Re: HP G62 bad battery life :(

some more tips that might help also did you check for a longer life battery for your system

Extend notebook battery life

How to Improve the Performance of the Battery

While I work on behalf of HP I'm not speaking for HP but trying to provide best effort support.
Student
LMVGANESH
Message 3 of 22 (27,948 Views)

hai, i bought my HP G62 Note book in quwaith at last december(2010) in earlier my battery back up was comingup to 3 hours .but now days it may comes 25 minitues only and also indicate thebattery cross mark while it chargeing .now iam in india (chennai)my doubt is hp international warrenty is useing to replace my battery ay my home town.where i contact?

Student
happyabby20
Message 4 of 22 (27,075 Views)

I'm having the same thing happen to my battery. I also bought mine in September 2010. Its life started out right around 5 hours, which I was very happy about. Now it's down to 30 to 45 minutes on a full charge.

This doesn't seem normal for a computer just over a year old. Seems odd that people who bought them around the same time are having similar battery problems.

Student
Lorna1987
Message 5 of 22 (26,947 Views)

I bought my hp G62 in September 2010 and I am now having the exact same problem. There is a constant X over the battery even while it is charging. When the battery IS at 100% it lasts for approximately 20 minutes.. 

Honor Student
thejdcole
Message 6 of 22 (26,628 Views)

I also purchased my G62 HP laptop in September 2011 (I have the full receipt from Ebuyer.co.uk). And my current battery life is also absoloutly terrible. Even in full power saver mode, the battery lasts no longer than 1 hour.

At first I thought it was simply the natural depletion of the battery (albeit a very fast depletion) but after seeing many posts like the one above I feel pretty confident that the batch made in Sept 11 was faulty.

Honor Student
thejdcole
Message 7 of 22 (26,606 Views)

Sorry I meant September 2010

Top Student
sriramoman
Message 8 of 22 (25,186 Views)

Its the property of any battery to lose its ability to store/release charge over time, so the optimum performance (by which the retention power of the battery reaches 50%) is typically 1.5-2yrs. This can be enhanced by using power saving techniques as described in the HP manuals.

Always use the laptop without AC connection till it reaches 40%, this prevents heating of the battery areas. Moreover, once a month of regular usage, its recommended to drain the battery to zero and calibrate the battery.

I purchased my laptop on June 6th, 2010. My battery life was 3hrs15mins then, now its 1hr45mins.

Another tip: Windows7 is a battery hog. I use ubuntu, whenever I use this OS, my battery lasts double long. Cooling pad is also recommended when you are on a desk.

--

sriramoman, Chennai

Top Student
AnitaP
Message 9 of 22 (25,161 Views)

My HP battery also died on me. I have a G60. It died a long time ago, though and it didn't have much of a battery life to begin with. Has anyone had any luck buying replacement batteries/chargers online? Not from HP because they're horribly overpriced.

Student
shawndee
Message 10 of 22 (22,919 Views)

I bought mine in WA state in Oct 2010 at Fry's.  Has anyone looked at a recall?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation