Question

Top Student
ChrisAndersen
Message 1 of 12 (8,076 Views)

HP G71 Power Adapter Charging but not recognized

I have an HPG G71 with Windows 7. Recently the AC power adapter failed, so I purchased a new one. When I plug it in, Windows does not recognize it. It continues to say that the laptop is not plugged in. However, the battery *does* recharge and the batter charging light on the front of the laptop is on. So, while this is annoying, the laptop is still usable.

However, I just tried to run the recovery manager and it said it couldn't create the recovery disks without the laptop being plugged in. In other words, it thinks it is not plugged in when, in fact, it is.

Any suggestions?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 12 (8,074 Views)

Re: HP G71 Power Adapter Charging but not recognized

Hi,

First of all, shutdown the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter unplugged, remove the battery, and then hold down the Power button for a full minute.

Now, plug in the AC Adapter without the battery inserted, start the notebook, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand the entry for Batteries, right click on and the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and select Uninstall - do not uninstall anything else here.  When the uninstall is complete, shut the PC down, unplug the AC Adapter, re-insert the battery and then start the PC on just the battery.  Windows will automatically reinstall the driver - leave Windows running for a few minutes. Shutdown the PC again.  Now plug in the AC Adapter ( with the battery still inserted ) and start the notebook to see if this has helped the issue at all.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
ChrisAndersen
Message 3 of 12 (8,048 Views)

The laptop won't start without the battery installed and the AC adapter connected.

Additional info: the power led next to the AC port on the laptop never comes on when the batter is installed. When I remove the battery and connect the AC power, the power light comes on for about 1-2 seconds and then turns off again.

Top Student
ChrisAndersen
Message 4 of 12 (8,046 Views)

Clarification: I meant to say that the laptop cannot start without the battery installed, regardless of whether the AC adapter is connected.

Honor Student
b_radrad_guy
Message 5 of 12 (7,356 Views)

Hopefully this isn't a dead topic and you check this out if you haven't fixed the problem yet. You'll just have to keep pulling it in and out (cue that's what she said jokes) before the light turns on. It can take less than one or up to ten, but it's possible. I'm going to try what was posted above to see if it will resolve the issue for me, but the light must be on for the computer to start without the battery - and this may takee some time for the computer to recognize the AC adapter.

I will edit this post when I finish the troubleshoot. 

Honor Student
Guamgecko
Message 6 of 12 (7,244 Views)

Has anyone found a resolution for this yet?  I'm having the same issue on my CQ61.  LED light on the side is on, charging light on the front is on, and the battery charges to 100% every time but the computer isn't acknowledging the AC adapter as being plugged in.

I can't do the fix suggested either because the computer wont power without the battery.

Honor Student
b_radrad_guy
Message 7 of 12 (7,241 Views)

After going through the steps from my post above, the problem did seem to get better but definitely was not resolved. I find it easier to turn the light on (normally taking it out one or two times). I've noticed that if I put it in a certain way, the light comes on first try, which suggests to me that the sensor inside the computer may be affected. 

I'm not sure what steps should be taken from here, but I'd suggest messing with the adapter and seeing if you can get the light to come on at least 5 times and if you are able to do that, then try the steps above. If not, don't bother trying and possibly contact HP technical support and hopefully they have a troubleshooting technique that will fix it.

Teacher
Chraz_Ritt
Message 8 of 12 (7,216 Views)

Are you guys sure that you have the right adapter? In another thread I posted that my computer knows the difference between it's adapter, and another one that should work, the guy with the problem checked the adapter he had in his closet, and found that he had accidentally switched them. He seemed to be happy with the results that he got.

IF what I post solves your problem please click the "Problem solved" button on my post.
Oh, and if I have helped you, clicking the 'Kudos' star on my post would not hurt my feelings ether.
Top Student
ChrisAndersen
Message 9 of 12 (6,695 Views)

Original Poster here. I hadn't followed this discussion for several months so i didn't see these mroe recent posts until now.

Anyway, the eventual solution I found to this problem was to just buy a power adapter form HP. My suspicion is that HP deliberatly blocks its laptops from recognizing non-HP adapters. It will still charge the battery, but the computer doesn't recognize that the adapter is plugged in.

Kind of dickish on HP's part frankly if that is the case.

Student
JOESCHMO392
Message 10 of 12 (4,974 Views)

I own the HP G71-340US, and am using a tested and confirmed HP power cord. I use the proper AC outlet as well. I have never had an electronic device that a battery change caused the unit to fail (battery is good).

It's 2 years old, it will not start period, even with recommended hoops that have been suggested to jump through

by HP. It does start for 2 seconds. I have reseaeched this vigourously, and can only suspect, the whole computer is trash because of a needed battery change, apparently it will not charge the new battery either, and the power cord is a verifiably good HP cord that came with the unit. This has cost me the price of a computer and a new battery, and lost business communication. That's the facts regarding a recent HP notebook, that of course is not under warranty. Any thoughts before this unit goes to the shooting range would be appreciated.

Thank You.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation