Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

1. HP G72

2.  Windows 7

3.  Computer won't power up

4.  Only activity is a blinking power button light while the laptop is plugged into charger/outlet.

Any idea, if this is a computer, battery or power cord problem?

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

34 REPLIES 34
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem, would love to know the answer. 

HP Recommended

Any luck, I'm having the same problem?

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same problem!!!! Very frustrating not to find an answer here in HP!!! 

Anyone? Anyone?

HP Recommended

Still no luck.

I'v etried it withoutr the battery installed. It gave the same result.  No fan, no sound, no activity at all, except a blinking power button light.

The computer will not turn on.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue, my HP G72 won't power up.  Only sign is a little red light by where the power cord is connected.....it was running fine, and then blank

HP Recommended

Found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqg5wQpkK14&feature=related

and this

Symptoms: Flashing green light on both motherboard and power supply. System will not power on.

Solution:

Step 1: Ensure that both the power supply and the motherboard lights are flashing green, not solid or off.
Step 2: While the power is on, disconnect the power supply from the motherboard. This connection is the largest of the connections and should be listed as the 'P1' or 'Primary' power connection.

Step 3: Wait until the green light on the motherboard stops flashing and check to ensure that the green light on the power supply is now solid. If it is not solid, disconnect the power to the power supply and wait until the light turns off completely. Then reconnect, it should be solid now.

Step 4: While the power is on, reconnect the P1 connection to the motherboard and you should now see that the light on the motherboard is solid.

Step 5: Power on your PC. The problem should not persist.

Warnings: If the power supply light remains flashing after you have restored power to it while it is disconnected from the motherboard, it may be a system failure in the power supply itself requiring replacement. Always be careful when working with an active or live power machine.

Also cleaning the ram sounds like it can work as well. I will try them this evening and give feedback.

HP Recommended

Just had a customer drop off a G72 with the light flashing.  I did notice that If I push the power button that the network light blinks momentarily.  Going to start disassembly of this laptop tomorrow.  Just wanted to flag this post as its the most relevant and it appears a ton of people got the same problem at the same time.

HP Recommended

I did try both proceedures for a quick fix and a cmos battery reset to no avale.

Looking at the power cord that the customer brought in with the laptop with the screen size I would say that depending on use this laptop is underpowered at times 65 watt rating on the power supply is not enough for this screen size a 90 should of come from the factory to ensure proper power function.

Also I have found lately that the chinese have NO PROBLEM lieing about the power supply ratings in general.

Watts = Volts x amps   I see watt ratings where volts and the rated amps do not add up to declared wattage

These ratings take zero account for what happens to current draw when they get so smoking hot you can't touch them.  Thats why you should always try to use a 50% over wattage power cord.  90 watts minimum for a laptop of this size and kick it up to a 120 watt if your plugging in your cell phone and/or a "cool pad"(Your laptop is not a power supply)

To which we will have to be replacing parts inside this laptop because of this out of warranty oversite by HP who just had to sell cheap laptops on black friday.

HP Recommended

I have a HP G72 laptop. I have the power up issue with blank screen also. There is no HP logo or hard drive activity at all.

I see the F11 with amber light blink, and the power blink for 1 or 2 times when I power up. I tried to reset the system by removing the a/c adapter and battery.

Hold the power button for 1 minute.

Put back the a/c adapter and power on. I only get the laptop boot up once, and the screen is flicking. No luck

Definitely, this is another HP lemon laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.