Question

Student
lyricallydivine
Message 1 of 14 (9,858 Views)

HP Mini 1000, grinding fan noise.

This just started today, but it's like a grinding noise coming from the bottom of the laptop. I think it might be the fan...

I tried taking the battery out and getting rid of any dust there... but there wasn't much.

I just bought this computer like, 6 months ago.

I need it for university, what's wrong with it?

Tutor
HPMINI1000user
Message 2 of 14 (9,597 Views)

Re: HP Mini 1000, grinding fan noise.

I have the same exact problem, i think it is the fan- although im not sure.  Oh and guess what, my warranty ended yesterday- coincidence? maybe.  

I hope someone has a solution to this... it is very anoying

Honor Student
tballis
Message 3 of 14 (9,561 Views)

Add me to the list of hp mini laptop fan grinding noise sufferers.

I see a pattern.

Tutor
HPMINI1000user
Message 4 of 14 (9,548 Views)

I've recently updated the Bios on my HP mini, and now if i start up my computer the fan isn't making a grinding noise.  The problem is that even if i move it slightly, the grinding noise comes back.

I have also taken apart my mini, and taken out the fan- and have found that it is completely clean.  I have tried blowing on the fan with compressed air, and I have come up with a theory that the fan itself is fine, the problem is the motor spinning the fan (not sure what the problem is)

If we can find enough people who have this problem, i think we should confront HP about this issue.  Also, does anyone know if it is still safe to use the Mini? (does the grinding mean that the fan is destroying itself?)

Student
hpminimom2009
Message 5 of 14 (9,090 Views)

Re: HP Mini 1000, grinding fan noise and overheating

I spent about 4 hrs. trying to find out why after only having this mini for less than 1 yr. it's doing exactly what everyone else in the forum is talking about.  HP tech told me to install current BIOS which I did with no issues.  Started up noise and heat issues still there.  I have also done the compressed air to clean out any dust, still now it sounds worse,  HP came to the conculsion maybe changing out the fan would do the trick.  But what I have read in this forum from last years entrys that may not be the problem.  I'll spend $60 on fan assembly and do it myself.  After that I'm going to go out and buy a newer version of a mini netbook and you can bet it's not going to be an HP!

Student
Andylee123
Message 6 of 14 (8,625 Views)

I had the very same issues petty much right out of the box. I sent the netbook in for servicing. They changed the HDD and the fans. I have not had a chance to see if this fixes the problem. I will watch a movie tonight and update you. I think this laptop overheats very easily so be careful where you put it while in use.

Student
mike212177
Message 7 of 14 (8,608 Views)

I just bought this  HP mini 110-3014 yesterday (Monday August 23rd, 2010). Guess what right from first time i turned this HP mini it makes a lot of noise from the bottom of the netbook. I think it's the fan since its blows air very strongly. even though it's just taken out the box. Is it normal that the fan is on high all the time regardless the temperature of the netbook. Thanks in advance

Honor Student
Luisleunam
Message 8 of 14 (8,014 Views)

AAAAAH!!! :manmad: This is sooooo annoying. This grinding noise bearly happened today while I was doing homework. Now I CANT do homework because this is sooooo annoying. I cant concentrate. My warranty already expired. Someone please come up with a solution.

Honor Student
Luisleunam
Message 9 of 14 (7,934 Views)

HEY GUYS I FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!!

ILL I DID WAS PRESSURIZED CAN WITH AIR. SPRAYED THE VENTS OF THE FOR A LONG TIME.

I HEARD THE FAN TURNING.

(BUT MAKE SURE YOUR COMPUTER IS TURNED OFF)

AFTER THAT IT WORKED, NO MORE GRINDING NOISE

TRY IT!!!!

Student
Flying_Monkey
Message 10 of 14 (7,785 Views)

I have a Mini 110-1025dx. I used to hear grinding noises when I tilted the machine. Eventually the fan stopped working altogether. It would come on for a bit, then freak out and make a kind of buzzing noise. So I opened the case (there are videos on YouTube. Use a credit card or plastic library card to take off the bottom), removed the fan, googled the fan's part number, bought a new fan on eBay ($50!! Yikes!) and installed it. It's working beautifully now. Quiet and cool.

Don't bother with blasting compressed air into the machine from the outside. Unless the machine is open, you're just moving the dirt around to another part of the motherboard. If I see that the fan is really dirty, I'll open it up, remove the fan and blast some air onto it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation