Question

Honor Student
AnnonOMous
Message 1 of 6 (9,511 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Pavilion Dv6 3130sa function key settings

Hi

I've recenetly picked up the laptop above, and have finally got everything set up how I like it, except one thing.

The F keys (F1-F12) accross the top of the key board are my thorn.

At the moment, if I want to turn the sound up or down, I just press the F10 or F9 key respectivly.  The function button (fn down near the bottom left of my keyboard) isn't needed.  If I do need to prees the actual F9, I have to hold down the fn key.

Most people probably don't mind this (how often do you use the F keys?).

I however, do.  I play EVE online alot, and anyone else who plays this will know that F1 to F8 are used alot of the time, with F9 to F12 having less use.

In some situations in EVE, time is of the essence, and I don't like havign to press the fn key to be able to switch on whatever it is I have assigned to F1-F8.  Since alt+Fkey and ctrl+Fkey are also used.  If I'm pressing fn, then the alt and ctrl keys dont register in EVE.  And pressing Alt-F1 for example, does nothing.

Is there some way I can switch around what my top row keys do in relation to whether or not the fn key is pressed?

Outside of EVE, hitting F1 on it's current setting opens up HPs general support application, and hitting fn+F1 opens up the help for the program I'm currently using.  Again, I want these swapped over.

I've looked around control panel and the start menu but can't find anything that enables me to set up my keys how I want them.  Even for the 5 hotkeys (down the left hand side of the keyboard), I can't find an option to change what they open...

Reading through, I probably haven't explained very well what it is I'm after, but can someone help me?

Master's Graduate
phttech
Message 2 of 6 (9,503 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion Dv6 3130sa function key settings

this link may help

Why do I have to hold down the "Fn" key to get normal letter

While I work on behalf of HP I'm not speaking for HP but trying to provide best effort support.
Honor Student
AnnonOMous
Message 3 of 6 (9,471 Views)

Sorry, but that didn't help.  There isn't a numpad on my laptop (which I've only just noticed), full or embeded.  There's also no num lock key because of this.

My problem is very similar but linked only to the top row of F-Keys, the rest of the keyboard is fine.  Oh, except the quicklaunch keys, I can't find an option to configure them either, which I think I stated in OP.

Master's Graduate
phttech
Message 4 of 6 (9,456 Views)

check to see if you have this option in  bios

Disable The Fn + Function Key Combination on Certain Models

While I work on behalf of HP I'm not speaking for HP but trying to provide best effort support.
Honor Student
AnnonOMous
Message 5 of 6 (9,433 Views)

Thanks.  Changing the BIOS setting worked.

Probably not a good idea to put something like this in the BIOS.  Rather, easy for the user to access software would be better.  It also allows for more customization.  Well, it's not like anyone who could make that change is gonna read this but still...

Thanks all the same.

Student
charlesv1
Message 6 of 6 (8,719 Views)

I must say as someone with a visual impairment who traded in a Dell D800 for an HP DV6, the keyboard on the HP is terrible.  Resetting the function keys to normal so that F6 can go right to the URL bar of any browser and alt+F4 can close a window improves the usability.  However there is no tactile way to tell the F row keys in the usual blocks of four.  Furthermore adding a strip of keys on the left makes the 1 key the 3rd key when on every keyboard in the world it is the 2nd key after tilde.  Also HP, just so you know, people with visual impairments tend to use screen readers which produce audio and we need to change the volume quite frequently, your choice to make the volume as unintuitive of a location as possible is just a slap in the face.  I'm giving it a few weeks, but I'll bet this laptop goes back to the store and a Dell is back in my future.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation