Question

Student
thompsonjoe0
Message 1 of 49 (23,016 Views)

HP Pavilion dm4 - Plugged In, Not Charging - Tried Everything

I need help.  I have read all the blogs and tried just about everything, but my HP dm4-1165dx is still showing that it is plugged in, not charging.  The battery is out of juice and now I have to have it plugged in anytime I want to use it.

Here is what I tried / Checked...

1) HP Support Assistant says that Battery Status is 'OK' - Big green battery...

2) Updated Bios to latest version...

3) turned off HP, unplugged removed battery, held power button(60secs), plugged back in and started up, then shut down put battery back in and started computer back up...

4) Removed in Device Manager ACPI Method Battery, then re-installed...

5) Remove battery for 10mins then place back in...

The AC adapter is running the computer, so that doesn't seem like that is a problem...

The battery is said to be 'OK' by HP Support Assistant, so I shouldn't need a new battery, and just a day about it lasted 4hrs...

The HP dm4 recognizes that there is a battery connected to the computer, so the connection on the board should be fine...

Any help would be great, if I really just need to buy a new battery or AC adapter then I am cool with that but everything I am looking at is telling me it is cool...  The computer is only 18mos old and I've never had a problem with it...

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 49 (23,003 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dm4 - Plugged In, Not Charging - Tried Everything

If it will not charge the battery while the notebook is turned off, then there is something wrong with the battery or the charging circuit which is part of the motherboard.

Only way to test the battery is to see if it will charge in another laptop that uses the same model of battery. If it charges in that laptop, then it is a motheboard problem, which is expensive to repair.

Tutor
brandnewbattery
Message 3 of 49 (22,586 Views)

1. Disconnect AC
  2. Shutdown
  3. Remove battery
  4. Connect AC
  5. Startup
  6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).
  7. Shutdown
  8. Disconnect AC
  9. Insert battery
  10. Connect AC
  11. Startup

This is the best solution for your hp Pavilion dm4 Battery

Honor Student
AdhamMagdy
Message 4 of 49 (19,743 Views)

I have this problem with my g6 pavilion.. If you're sure there's nothing wrong with your battery and charger... then most probably it's a software issue...

Try this temporary fix I found...  Every time I install/uninstall "HP Power Manager Utililty Software" the problem is immediately fixed for the session.. after restart, the problem returns...

So if this works then someone can look for the file or command that fixes the problem after installation, it can be run at startup to fix the problem permanently

Student
djview58
Message 5 of 49 (17,764 Views)

1.  Many people have reported problems with the charging system on their HP Pavilion lap tops. The battery says it is charging however it remains drained. This malfunction often occurs just past the warranty period. Many people experiencing this problem have purchased a new battery and/or power source but the probem remains. A new motherboard is the suggested fix however, at 400.00, this is not a viable option. I found a cost effective external battery charger that plugs directly to your battery thus restoring the portability feature of your laptop. http://store.jcbarn.com/exbachsforhp12.html

2. External Battery Charger (Standalone) for HP Pavilion dv6000 series
    store.jcbarn.com
Tutor
neyutithe
Message 6 of 49 (17,670 Views)

the motherboard i have the same issued hp dm4 i spoke to the hp and they charge $350 to fixed but if people start compleinning can be considered like manufacture issued and they have to fixed for free i look in tje internet and a lot people have the same problem wt this model ..... This is the numeber i call 1800-474-6836 make sure talk to the manager and make the report...
Top Student
DenisVan
Message 7 of 49 (17,093 Views)

I called and since I am out of warranty, the tech transferred me to their Technical Support sales desk. The salesman told me that unless I purchased their service packages, there was nothing they can do for me.

Disappointed with HP for not taking the steps to correct an obvious common manufacturing defect with this model. Laptop is less than two years old and now is limited to desktop duties since the battery will not charge.

I recently purchased an HP Pavilion HPE that I have not had any problems with, but at least I know what to expect from HP when the warranty runs out.

Tutor
cjc2
Message 8 of 49 (15,517 Views)

Same exact thing happened to me ...  problem got fixed, but then re-appeared after a reboot.

did you ever find a permanent solution?

Top Student
DenisVan
Message 9 of 49 (15,508 Views)

My laptop still has the same problem. I still think it's a software issue since the HP tests shows that the battery is fine.

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 10 of 49 (15,318 Views)

Hello cjc2 & DenisVan,

What is your product number and operating system?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation