Question

Student
seajayplay
Message 1 of 4 (1,549 Views)

HP Pavilion dv1000 battery not charging

Hi,

I have an old Hp Pavilion dv1000 that I was given a few years ago. It worked fine up until four days ago when I noticed that even when the power was plugged in it was not charging the battery. I will move around a lot during the day and am always unplugging it, moving to a new location, and plugging back in. At first I thought it was just the plug to the computor being worn down. I took a tiny screwdriver and pryed the edges of the prongs inside the plug thinking that maybe they were just loose from the constant plugging and unplugging. That solved the issue for about three days. But now it is not charging the battery at all no matter what I do. Would this be an adaptor problem or a problem with the computer itself? I'm only asking because after looking at the problems on this site it seems like it might have finally died and I want to know if it would be worth it to try buying a new adaptor or if I should just start using the laptop as a paperwieght.

I have already tried unplugging everything and removing the battery and holding the power button down for 30-40 seconds then only plugging the adaptor back in but that hasn't worked. I am hesitent to try taking apart the laptop for fear of breaking it totally.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Carl

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 4 (1,517 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv1000 battery not charging

At this point, it could almost be anything.  It could be the charging port, the adapter, the battery, or the motherboard. 

The easiest way to rule out the adapter would be to use an adapter from another HP notebook.

I take it the system still powers on with at least the adapter connected.  Power on the notebook and press F2 about once a second to get a diagnostics menu.  If there is a battery test, select it.  Otherwise, select the start-up test as most models bundle the battery test with it.  If the battery has reached the end of its life, then the test should indicate this.  My notebook battery, after three years, stopped charging the battery and replacing the battery is what resolved it for me. 

Let me know what happens. 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Student
Eeyore91
Message 3 of 4 (1,371 Views)

I was given an hp pavilion dv1000 and it wont charge up. When it was given to me I had to buy a charger and I have been told the charger is the wrong one and I have also been told that my battery is bad and needs replaced. I need help. I have no clue what to believe I can give any additional info that is needed so I can find out what I need to do.
Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 4 of 4 (1,354 Views)

Hello eeyore91.  I understand your battery will not charge.

Does the notebook boot on AC power?

What is the product number of the notebook?  This document can show you where the product number is located.

I hope you have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation