HP Pavilion dv4-1225dx Black Screen on start up. (7009 Views)
Honor Student
flynn_tom
Message 1 of 3 (7,009 Views)

HP Pavilion dv4-1225dx Black Screen on start up.

I have two HP Pavilion dv4-1225dx laptops that have been booting to a black screen. The system stays on and will power down after several minutes. Both laptops have been installed with Windows 7 months ago and were running fine. The laptops will not boot into the BIOS. I have removed the battery and held down the power button for 20 seconds, I have removed the memory and put it back into the slots, I have swapped memory modules on both laptops, I have removed the small BIOS battery and put it back in.

The first of the two boots to the black screen, the caps and scroll lock blink 4 times and continues this reading over and over again.

The second of the two boots to the black screen, the caps and the scroll lock blink 1, 2, and 3 times and continues this reading over and over again.

Has anyone experienced these same symptoms and is there a quick solution for these errors?

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 3 (6,987 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv4-1225dx Black Screen on start up.

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I recommed you to check below document:

Blank Screen LED Error Codes

flynn_tom wrote:

The first of the two boots to the black screen, the caps and scroll lock blink 4 times and continues this reading over and over again.

As you know from above document it looks then this model have problem with defected graphic card.

flynn_tom wrote:

The second of the two boots to the black screen, the caps and the scroll lock blink 1, 2, and 3 times and continues this reading over and over again.

If I wear you I would test RAM. In below guide you will find all informations how you may do this:
How to test RAM and HDD (Hard Drive).

When this test will confirm then you've got problem with RAM then try to run it only with first stick and test is it ok.

If test will fail then try to boot with only second stick. When this will fail too then try to use others.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Top Student
Ryan5153
Message 3 of 3 (5,295 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv4-1225dx Black Screen on start up.

I've had the same problem with mine for a few months now. It will occasionally work again fine for a week or two, then cut out if the computer is shut down. 

Here's something weird: When it comes in from hibernating, it won't do the "resuming windows" gig, but it will resume eventually. If I try hooking it to an external monitor it keeps it from working again, but the external monitor works fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation