Question

Honor Student
keyboardnotwork
Message 1 of 11 (21,528 Views)

HP Pavilion dv4 notebook - Keyboard Not Working

Hi -

2 days ago I was in the middle of typing an email and my HP Pavilion dv4 notebook (model # dv4t - 1000) keyboard starting acting erratically.  For example, I would press a single key and multiple keys would appear.  I tried to restart, but then I was unable to type in my password to log-in.  I was able to use the on-screen keyboard option though. 

Yesterday this evolved to a message to tell me that the CTRL key was held down.  So every key I was pressing was giving me the result as if it was CTRL + "key" (E.g.. When I pressed "F", the Find pop-up box appeared (CTRL + F).

Today this evolved to no keys/mouse working at all.   I am unable to even navigate to the on-screen keyboard option.

Possible cause: I noticed the touchpad mouse was slightly wet when the issue first started.  I spilled a small amount of contact solution near my computer and didn't realise that it got on the computer, but it must have. 

Can anyone provide some guidance on my best next steps?  I'm going to try to give it a good clean, but do I have any other options other than paying $ for someone to evaluate what the real issue is?  (this is no longer covered under warranty).

Thanks for your time!

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 2 of 11 (21,511 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv4 notebook - Keyboard Not Working

If it was spilled water, replacing the keyboard would fix the issue.

However, in most cases it is more than that, some would end up by replacing the mobo.

Try to replace the keyboard first.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Honor Student
keyboardnotwork
Message 3 of 11 (21,500 Views)

Thanks.  I'm going to take it into to a computer shop today and hopefully they can diagnose whether it is isolated to the keyboard. 

If it is the mobo (motherboard?), any idea how much it would cost to repair?

Master's Graduate
Matt_Lo
Message 4 of 11 (21,470 Views)

[ Edited ]

There is a way you could test to make sure it is a hardware issue for sure.  Turn on your notebook and immediatly start tapping the F11 key.  This will take you to the Recovery Manager.  Now, you aren't going to do a recovery but the Recovery Manager has an option to bring up a command prompt.  Go to the command prompt and if the issue still exists then you know it is a problem with the physical hardware.  If you have trouble getting the F11 key to work that would also be a sign of hardware.

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
Student
beatrice88
Message 5 of 11 (20,026 Views)

hi my touchpad not working anymore. wins7/pavilion dv4  PRODUCT NUMBER : WA684UA#ABA

i tried to uninstall/install mostly of touchpad drivers but still not working though , no idea whats going on.

THANKYOU!

Student
amandis
Message 6 of 11 (19,549 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had a similar problem with the keyboard when i received my dv4 an i was setting it up.  I turned it off, unplugged it, and removed the battery, left it out for a few minutes, then put it back in & rebooted.  It worked.  Dont know if this will solve your issue but it is worth a try. 

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Student
Zarcuz
Message 7 of 11 (15,706 Views)

I am having the same problem, but an external keyboard and mouse do work, and when i use f11 on start up the keyboard & mouse work also in the recovery screen they work so i dont think its a hardware problem, but when windows loads it stops working again. I tried powering down and removing the battery but no dice. Any suggestions?
Student
ab_hp
Message 8 of 11 (14,665 Views)

Thanks this helped to resolve my keyboard problem.

Honor Student
DannyLee
Message 9 of 11 (3,854 Views)

I cannot log on to my laptop due to the keyboard stopped working. I used my wireless keyboard on it and it works just fine.  I purchased a replacement keyboard, installed it and I had the same problem.  What do you think the problem is?

Student
db76639
Message 10 of 11 (3,691 Views)

Hi DannyLee,

Did you ever get a reply about the issue with your keyboard?  I am having the same issue and is drivinfg me crazy.....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation