Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm wondering out of interest is to what is the best CPU I can upgrade to on my laptop? I'm not planning to upgrade anytime soon but would like to know up front what are the possibilities when the time arises.

--CPU--

CPU: Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P7550 @ 2.26GHZ

Codename: Penryn

Packet: Socket P (478)

--Mainboard--

Manufacturer: Quanta

Model: 3628

Chipset: Intel | PM45

SouthBridge: Intel | 82801M (ICH9-M)

Do apologise for these pictures. With the theme I'm using, you can't really read the info properly. With these specs, would it even be possible to upgrade it to a quad core? I highly doubt it but would be interesting if it can. I've done some research but need to know from a person who would know which Intel processors are compatible with this laptop. Cheers

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi:

Attached is the link to your service manual. Supported processors can be found in Chapter 1 on pages 1 & 2.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01758220.pdf

Don't forget to read any BIOS release notes that provide support for the newer processors. If there are, you should flash the BIOS prior to changing out the processor.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the quick reply! Also thanks for the BIOS information. Cheers!

HP Recommended

I have basically the same question,

However I read the manual that was supplied and couldnt find my processor in there.

I also have a Pavilion dv6, Although it has an AMD p340 cpu

I think the model name is

HP Pavilion dv6 XD450EA Notebook

Processor & Chipset:
Processor type: AMD Athlon II Dual-Core Processor P340 2.2 GHz

If possible, I would like to upgrade this to at least a 2.5ghz cpu.

Is it possible?

Ken

HP Recommended

Hi, Ken:

My knowledge is very limited regarding AMD-based PC's.

However, here is the link to your dv6's service manual which lists all the supported AMD processors.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02659236.pdf

Looking at chapter 3 at the list of motherboards, I don't see that one needs a different motherboard to support this wide range of processors.

So, if any of those will work, the sky is the limit for your upgrade.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks so much,

As the original author also said, thanks for the very quick reply.

I it took seconds to find the info i needed in the manual, maybe i will be lucky with this one.

ken

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Ken.

Please post back and let us know what processor you upgraded to and how you like it.

Thanks,

Paul

HP Recommended

Well I am currently researching and my decision will be between an

AMD Phenom II N970 Quad 2.20-GHz processor

and the

AMD Phenom II N660 Dual 3.00-GHz

these two are listed in the parts avaliable for my laptop, although I have no doubt that newer ones might also work.

I have 2 problems in deciding... this is where my questions might get tough... I really hope there is a simple solution.

1. I have been a fan of a game series called operation flashpoint/armed assault and get heavily into scripting for the game. the game specs for the newer update say minimun requriements an AMD dualcore 2.5ghz

OR recomended AMD phenom II x4.

the first processor is basically a Phenom II x4, it has a clockspeed of 2.2ghz...

is this still better than a Dualcore with 3.0Ghz?

And yes I have asked a similar question on the game forums!

Man It is hard to find people selling mobile processors, is the

AMD Phenom II N970 Quad 2.20-GHz processor

the same as a AMD

AMD Phenom II 970 X4 Black

?

Is one the mobile version? or are they the same thing just a slightly different name?

And an unplanned 3rd question...

Should I now be asking these things on the AMD customer service forums?

HP Recommended

Hi, Ken:

I know I can't be of any help, that's for sure.  :generic:

I have read though, that a dual core processor may be better then a quad core, if you don't run programs that can take advantage of the multi-core architecture.

I recommend you start a new thread with your questions here and see if someone has some decent guidance for you, as well as feeling free to post elsewhere on the net.

Best regards,

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi, Ken:

I know I can't be of any help, that's for sure.  :generic:

I have read though, that a dual core processor may be better then a quad core, if you don't run programs that can take advantage of the multi-core architecture.

I recommend you start a new thread with your questions here, and see if someone has some decent guidance for you, as well as feeling free to post elsewhere on the net.

Best regards,

Paul

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.