Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

I have an HP Pavilion dv63090si running Windows 7 x64. I use a number of diacriticals and diphthongs and usually use the ASCII or ANSI values of those characters. I do not have a Num Lock key evident on this keyboard, and neither are any letter keys designated as number keys to be used with the fn key (as I have used in previous laptops).  How on earth does one get these characters into text documents?  There is a Lock (requires a password or finger scan to continue) key but there does not appear to be a Scroll Lock / Num Lock key either.

Thanks

Fev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi again,

Thank you for extra informations about your laptop. I just wanted to be sure that you haven't got this key on keyboard.

There is other solution on your problem. You may remap one of keys onto ' num lk ' key.

I recommend SharpKeys 3.0, because it's free software and very easy to use.

How you will be able to get back to this what key used to do?

You only need to remove the entry from the list in the main SharpKeys window and reboot the machine.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hi,

@Fev28 wrote:

Hi

I have an HP Pavilion dv63090si running Windows 7 x64. I use a number of diacriticals and diphthongs and usually use the ASCII or ANSI values of those characters. I do not have a Num Lock key evident on this keyboard, and neither are any letter keys designated as number keys to be used with the fn key (as I have used in previous laptops).  How on earth does one get these characters into text documents?  There is a Lock (requires a password or finger scan to continue) key but there does not appear to be a Scroll Lock / Num Lock key either.

Thanks

Fev

Here is a link to your notebook's suport pages.

That Lock key is the quicklock security key.

The only access I see to numbers on your notebook are the numbers keys. There is no number pad as there are on other dv6 Entertainment series notebooks. Your keyboard according to the manual is the following image.dv.PNG

Other dv6 series notebooks are like this one

dv6.PNG.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi

What is the solution to typing extended characters in a text document? Do we have to resort to the Character Map now to get characters such as ± instead of simply typing Alt 0181? Surely there must be a better solution to this bizarre situation. Does anyone have a solution to how we can type ASCII or ANSI codes into text docs with this ridiculous keyboard situation?

Thanks

Fev

HP Recommended

HI,

One solution would be to use the on screen keyboard that is present in Windows 7.

The Microsoft Accessibility website has details on how to access the on screen keyboard.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi

I am trying to use this method now.

1. I have the On screen keyboard open. I have chosen to reply to your post. My cursor is flashing on the line below 3.
  2. The Num Lock is on, on the On screen keyboard.
  3. I press and hold the Alt key down on my laptop keyboard, while I select the following code: 0177 on the on screen keyboard and release the Alt key.  This is the result:

No result at all.

This does however work on my desktop computer using the on screen keyboard, but I have no need to do this on the desktop computer because it has a Num Lock anyway.

Regards

Fev

HP Recommended

Not on the laptop keyboard. Try the Alt on the on-screen keyboard.

Best regards,
erico

HP Recommended

Hi

2 problems when pressing Alt on the onscreen keyboard, while keying in the ASCII value

1. How do you keep the mouse pointer on the alt key (to hold it down) and then use the mouse pointer to select the values?
  2. If you click Alt and then the value and repeat this for all 4 digits, you then get a character per digit

Please give clearer instructions as I am at my wits end with this issue.

Thanks

Heather

HP Recommended

Thw On-screen keyboard has an options key.

Tap it and you can turn on a number keypad and it will appear.  Press numlock.  

You will have to practice with it. I was able to use Alt+0181 and enabled µ to appear in notepad. It is tricky but it does worw. My Toshiba notebook is like your HP. It has no numlock. 😉

Best regards,
erico

HP Recommended

Hi Erico

I truly am grateful that you are persistent in helping me. I have turned the numlock on, on the onscreen keyboard. The issue is with the Alt key.  I haven't been able to find out how to set "sticky keys" on an onscreen keyboard, I can either set it to a click or a mouse over option, that was why I resorted to holding it down on the laptop keyboard. On the HP laptop, I believe that an arbitrary decision was made to remove the numlock facility without any thought for how ASCII code could be entered from the keyboard. It would appear that Character map will have to be used, or various other little apps that are available on the Net eg Allchars.

Thanks again for your patience

Fev

HP Recommended

Hi,
Please write your notebook product number (p/n). You'll find it at the bottom of the laptop on a sticker.

Resource:
How to Locate the Notebook product number (p/n)

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.