Question

Honor Student
zoid2442
Message 1 of 11 (3,923 Views)

HP Pavilion dv6000 buttons wont work

I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 notebook, and above the keyboard, I have some buttons that will start up quickplay, and some volume buttons.  Recently the buttons will not respond.  I'm not sure why this is but it started up when I pushed the mute button, and then the volume lights just went out.  The rest of them are lit up except for the mute button, and the volume up/down bar.  They don't respond at all when I push the buttons.  If anyone knows a solution as to how I can turn them back on, I would be very grateful.  Thanks, Chris.
PhD Student
Bookworm
Message 2 of 11 (3,911 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6000 buttons wont work

Can you give me the Product Number from the service tag on the bottom of the notebook it will say PN then have the numbers and letters.

Thank you

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
Honor Student
zoid2442
Message 3 of 11 (3,892 Views)

Yeah the product number is GS678UA#ABA.  Hopefully that is what you needed.
PhD Student
Bookworm
Message 4 of 11 (3,888 Views)

Yep that was just what I needed thanks

Try downloading and installing the following softpaqs from HP.com

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-64317-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

and

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-69499-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

The link to these and all other HP downloads for your system is

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3550081

Please let meknow if this works for you.

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
Honor Student
LegallyPink
Message 5 of 11 (3,387 Views)

I am having the same problem. My notebook is an HP Pavillion notebook dv3-1075us . Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Honor Student
finnboy777
Message 6 of 11 (2,045 Views)

A fix for the above issue - is to turn off or hibernate - remove the battery and with battery removed hold down the on/off button for 10 seconds or so - replace the battery - turn back on - and problem solved!!! - appears to be a problem with a static build up - you may need to repeat every 3 months or so - which you don't mind when the volume / mute and wireless function are returned to normal! Hope that helps

kind regards finnboy777

Honor Student
Lolita1971
Message 7 of 11 (797 Views)

My HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC makes a beeping sound at start up and some keys dont respond also certain keys keep repeating like if I press 8 it will go on and on for ever!  Please help! Product # QE07IUA#ABA

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 8 of 11 (783 Views)

Hello Lolita1971,

You state that your computer makes a beeping noise on the startup, also some keys don’t respond and some keys repeat themselves, is that correct? I will try to help you.

Which keys do not respond?  When the computer beeps when you turn it on, does seems to be in any kind of pattern?

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Honor Student
Lolita1971
Message 9 of 11 (778 Views)

Thank you very much for answering, I really appreciate that!  the following keys are not working on teh number pad 4,6,8 minus sign, delete key and the slash.  And in keyboard the "backspace" key which is really a problem.  Hope to hear from you soon.  :robothappy:

Laptop DV6-6117DX Pavilion notebook. 

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 10 of 11 (762 Views)

Lolita1971,

Thank you for the clarification.

First I would like you to perform a hard reset.

1. Remove all connections including the battery and AC adapter
  2. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds
  3. Once done reinsert only the battery and AC adapter

Once that has been done I would like you to load into the BIOS menu.

1. Locate the F10 key on the top of the keyboard.
  2. Turn the computer on and immediately start tapping the F10 key.
  3. If successful you should be on the BIOS setup utility screen.
  4. Once you recognize that press F9 to set up defaults and then press F10 to save and exit.

When you make it back to your main desktop screen, test those keys to see if they work or not.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation