Question
HP Pavilion dv6000 won't turn on power button quickplay motherboard faulty problem repair
Replies (22)

Honor Student
benhogan11
Message 11 of 23 (12,890 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6000 won't turn on power button quickplay motherboard faulty problem repair

I had and still do have the same problem. It seems as though HP's dv6000 and so many  of their computers have this problem it would be to their best interest to JUST FIX THE PROBLEM.  I Guess they R so big they just say NOOOOO!

I,m am like all the rest makes a good door stop. Owe my grandkid still like it (2 N 3 yrs old).

Honor Student
benhogan11
Message 12 of 23 (12,889 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6000 won't turn on power button quickplay motherboard faulty problem repair

BEEN THERE DONE THAT!

NO HELP THERE EITHER

Honor Student
faultydv6kstart
Message 13 of 23 (12,628 Views)

For those of you still struggling with a faulty startbutton on their HP dv6000 notebook, I ´ll tell you how I daily cope with that problem and maybe, if the condition of your laptop is similar than mine, you may be able to use the same start-up procedure:

Although my startbutton (my laptop's that is..) is as dead as a doornail, I found that the quickplay button, next to it ,still reacts to the touch of my finger by starting up the computer,unfortunately bringing me to the quick-start screen and nowhere else..

Next thing I found is that the only way to shut down the computer from this quickplay screen , is to lift it up, open the batterylid and take out the battery. Unorthodox but simple and very effective.

If, after having used the quickplay startbutton, I start hitting the F8 key, this will bring me to a screen in which I can choose the  "start windows normally" option.

If I do that, it will take me straight back to the quickplay screen, so I learnt not to do that!!!

Instead I go for the reboot option. When I tried this first time, it still took me to this wretched quickplay screen.

To prevent this I start hitting the F8 key again as soon as I have chosen the reboot option. This brings me to a similar menu-screen where I can choose to start up normally or reboot. This time, when I choose "start windows normally"', a follow-up menu lets me choose the operating-system I want to use ( in my case XPmedia edition) and as soon as I choose that and hit the enter-key my computer starts-up in Windows!!!!

In short:

- touch the quick-play button

- immediately start tapping the F8-key

- choose "reboot"

- immediately start tapping the F8-key again.

- choose "start windows normally"

- choose your operating-system

- finally start doing whatever you needed doing on your laptop!!

good luck!

Reinout,

Den-Haag

Nederland

Honor Student
mmccool719
Message 14 of 23 (12,186 Views)

Not that I have much to offer in the way of a fix.  But I figured I'd add my experience to this blog JUST IN CASE someone who cares reads it.  I bought my DV6000 in September 2006.  Within 1 year, it was sent back to replace the motherboard (under warranty).  Worked fine until 2008 when the wireless suddenly and mysteriously just disappeared.  So, I put it away for a while.  Decided to take it out 1 day recently and it had what I consider a rally....turned right on, wireless worked all was good....for about 3 days.  Then, wireless stopped, the laptop would no longer turn on by the power button.  It does come on with the Quickplay but seems to just get stuck there and never loads up Windows.  I will try the advice a few others have posted and see.  But as for HP goes.....I am totally disgusted at having spent over $2000 on this laptop at the suggestion of Best Buy.  I refuse to spend $259 to fix it......tech support even told me not to waste my money!!  Of course, never did I recieve any email or snail mail that they had extended the warranty for these known issues.  My laptop was sitting in my closet packed away and by the time I took it out.......of course the offer expired!  I will never buy another HP product as long as I live.  I also have owned a Dell since 2001 and have not had one problem with it (and it cost less than half the HP).  So I hope that any HP employee who may be reading this is happy and proud to be working at such a sham operation.  I feel totally scammed and decieved.  I have spoken through a tunnel to so many "Thomas's, Mike's and Sylvia's" in Katmandu or wherever they are.....I am just over it.  Ii basically have an expensive piece of plastic I can do nothing with.

Honor Student
mmccool719
Message 15 of 23 (12,159 Views)

I am sure many of you know there is a class action lawsuit with Nvidia for all the HPDV6000 issues.  Does anyone know how I can access proof of registration for my laptop if I lost the original receipt?? Thanks.

Student
pktroy
Message 16 of 23 (11,942 Views)

I can not believe this worked!!!!

But it did!

Now can you tell me why?

Student
RS_hpHope
Message 17 of 23 (11,859 Views)

It's a bit easier if your press the DVD button and the F10 key.  It goes to CMOS and you can just exit and Windows boots up.

BTW, check this post for info on how to fix the hardware.  Appears to be the ribbon cable to the power button.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1296885055187+28353475&...

Student
etphysics
Message 18 of 23 (11,670 Views)

[ Edited ]

Just got my 14 month old HP Pavilion Desktop back from the local repair shop (only 5 days!). Dead motherboard (M2N78LA Violet)--Nvidia GeForce 9100 video chip burned out..... HP doesn't sell the board, nor do any of the official HP parts sellers. Case manager offered me a 25% discount on a repair, which was more than the local shop charges. Now my daughter's 10 month old HP Pavilion dv6 notebook won't turn on. After reading all the issues with getting warranty repairs done in a timely manner, I'm tempted to by-pass HP warranty and pay for repairs myself.

{Content Removed}

Student
anish_vince
Message 19 of 23 (10,646 Views)

faultydv6kstart wrote:

For those of you still struggling with a faulty startbutton on their HP dv6000 notebook, I ´ll tell you how I daily cope with that problem and maybe, if the condition of your laptop is similar than mine, you may be able to use the same start-up procedure:

Although my startbutton (my laptop's that is..) is as dead as a doornail, I found that the quickplay button, next to it ,still reacts to the touch of my finger by starting up the computer,unfortunately bringing me to the quick-start screen and nowhere else..

Next thing I found is that the only way to shut down the computer from this quickplay screen , is to lift it up, open the batterylid and take out the battery. Unorthodox but simple and very effective.

If, after having used the quickplay startbutton, I start hitting the F8 key, this will bring me to a screen in which I can choose the  "start windows normally" option.

If I do that, it will take me straight back to the quickplay screen, so I learnt not to do that!!!

Instead I go for the reboot option. When I tried this first time, it still took me to this wretched quickplay screen.

To prevent this I start hitting the F8 key again as soon as I have chosen the reboot option. This brings me to a similar menu-screen where I can choose to start up normally or reboot. This time, when I choose "start windows normally"', a follow-up menu lets me choose the operating-system I want to use ( in my case XPmedia edition) and as soon as I choose that and hit the enter-key my computer starts-up in Windows!!!!

In short:

- touch the quick-play button

- immediately start tapping the F8-key

- choose "reboot"

- immediately start tapping the F8-key again.

- choose "start windows normally"

- choose your operating-system

- finally start doing whatever you needed doing on your laptop!!

good luck!

Reinout,

Den-Haag

Nederland

hey,

i too have a similar problem...

first off i broke my hinge, and now sadly my laptop has become a pc... and now... 2 weeks back the laptop decided not to turn on... and after numerous tries of hitting the power button it finally randomly came on.. and worked for 2 days.. then again the same issue.. but this time it didnt work for 1 week +.. and one fine day, it decided to work.. and currently its been working for 2 days... i bought the laptop when I was in the states and since they dont have the same model number in china, the HP here said they cant do anything to it.. sucks.. but anyways... i dont really get what you mean by usign the quickplay button?.. can u please provide pics and details to how you get to turn on the laptop?..

help is really app'ed.

thanks

anish

Honor Student
faultydv6kstart
Message 20 of 23 (10,640 Views)

This is in reply to the posting of Anish, in which he asks where the quickplay/button is.

On my HP Pavillion dv6000 it is on the right-hand side of the faulty startbutton.

How I use it to start up my laptop please read my earlier posting.

good luck,

faultydv6kstart

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation