Question

Honor Student
mashedmonster
Message 1 of 16 (19,578 Views)

HP Pavilion dv7-6102ea Synaptics touchpad won't scroll

Hi

Bought this laptop yesterday and am not sure if it's a faulty touchpad. I've googled and also reinstalled the driver (version 15.2.4.4)

I've already turned on scrolling in Control Panel, I think (I've got two fingure scrolling, scrolling and pinch zoom checked)

I've googled this problem and the only solution I found was to make sure that Synaptics was loading at start up.

Thanks a lot!

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 16 (19,553 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv7-6102ea Synaptics touchpad won't scroll

If there is a synaptics icon in the system tray next to the clock, right click on it, if there is a check by "Disable Gestures" uncheck it. You may have to enable the tray icon in Synaptics settings in Control Panel > mouse

Synaptic disable gestures.JPG

Honor Student
mashedmonster
Message 3 of 16 (19,537 Views)

Thanks for that, but there was no check by 'Disable Gestures', the icon was enabled in the system tray.

Any other ideas gratefuly received as this is driving me nuts:smileyhappy:

Top Student
Altafox
Message 4 of 16 (19,433 Views)

So I know very little about computers, but the scoll issue on my HP Pavilion dv7 was driving me insane as well, and after messing with it enough I *think* this might help you (since it solved my problem).

When you go into "Touchpad Properties" you see the series of checkboxes.  You'd THINK that when "scrolling" is checked, it would mean scrolling is enabled, but I found that was not the case.  When you click on "Scrolling" you will see a couple icons show up nearby on the right side, one that looks like a gear ("Settings"), and a question mark.  Click on the "Settings" gear icon and it will open another window.  In this window there are five different check boxes under the section "One-Finger Scrolling".  I clicked both the "Enable vertical scrolling" and "Enable horizontal scrolling".

That being said, I really thing Symantec could improve the user interface to make the settings more intuitive... it's ridiculous that checking "scrolling" doesn't actually enable scrolling unless you click on the hidden sub-menu gear icon.

Maybe this is something you have already tried, like I said, I know little about computers :smileyhappy: But it worked for me!

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 5 of 16 (19,426 Views)

@Altafox,

You know more than you think, thanks for helping out.

Top Student
pbasch
Message 6 of 16 (17,707 Views)

I'm having the same problem. And, yes, the "touchpad settings" interface is ridiculous. I'm starting to think the driver doesn't load completely until you go to Control Panel/Mouse.  When I boot up, the scrolling and pinching don't work and the icon isn't in the taskbar. Only by invoking it through Control Panel does it all "wake up". 

Annoying. Let's hope they fix this.

Student
laubauzz
Message 7 of 16 (17,214 Views)

I finally fixed mine! I went to the Control Panel and searched "Mouse." Then I went to the "Device Settings" tab. Toward the buttom of that page and just above the "OK" button there is a "Reset Devices" button. After clicking that my Synaptics TouchPad finally started working again. Hope this helps someone :smileyhappy:

Student
PerryT
Message 8 of 16 (16,944 Views)

touch pad settings won't stay working after re start

Student
nicoleanddakota
Message 9 of 16 (16,375 Views)

@ Altafox

I was having this exact same problem with my 3 year old laptop, and nothing I did seemed to help. I couldn't have done it without your post! Thank you so much, you know more about computers than I do :smileyvery-happy:

Student
MayJer1
Message 10 of 16 (14,237 Views)

I have done the checking of both enable vertical and horizontal scrolling - it works only while I'm on. Once I log off and back on, the settings weren't saved and scrolling doesn't automatically work. Did pbasch get it resolved? Hp help line didn't understand the problem and 2 phone calls didn't help. Thanks
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation