Question

Student
zimmermd13
Message 1 of 2 (1,231 Views)

HP Pavilion dv7 - USB ports on right side not working

Hi everyone - I've seen a couple of posts on this, but so far no answers that have helped.  I have a Pavilion dv7 running Windows 7 64-bit and the two USB ports on the right side of the laptop do not respond to devices (flash drives, USB mice, etc) whereas the USB port on the left side works fine.

I don't have any errors or issues in my device manager that I can see - I have seen suggestions to uninstall the drivers - but I don't know which ones to do - I have Generic USB Hubs, USB Root Hubs, etc.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.  If there's any other information necessary, please ask and I'll do my best to provide.

Thanks for your time and help!

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 2 (1,227 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv7 - USB ports on right side not working

I hate to bear bad news, but usually when the ports no longer work, then they are toast.

This is an issue that can be caused by using non-powered USB hubs or USB devices that draw too much current. The only sure fix I have ever heard of is replacing the system board. My wife's previous work notebook had two dead ports. 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation