Question

Student
inkysquid
Message 1 of 4 (4,914 Views)

HP Pavillion Notebook dv5000 - fan stopped working

My notebook's fan has stopped working.  Each time I try to work on the system, it reaches a point of high temp and just shuts down.  The fan was making an odd noise for a couple of weeks before stopping altogether.   I need to replace the fan but don't know how.  I went to BestBuy/Geeks and they said I need to contact HP but I can't find the appropriate information.  My system is about 5 years old.  Windows XP. 

Any ideas out there for me?  I appreciate any assistance you may give.

Thank you.

InkySquid

Top Student
coyotetechy
Message 2 of 4 (4,899 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion Notebook dv5000 - fan stopped working

Try going here to check your warranty status.  It should tell you how to find your model number and serial number.

Whether or not that works, you should go here to chat with HP about solutions.  Personally, though, I'd shop around for a cooling pad.  You should be able to get one pretty inexpensively from Wal-Mart.

wht Student
Student
wht
Message 3 of 4 (4,773 Views)

I had a similar problem with my dv5000 overheating but it turned out that the heat sink grill was clogged with dust so no air could move. I was able to take the laptop apart down to removing the fan itself, verified the fan was working, cleaned out the dust and dirt and put everything back together in just a couple of hours using this excellent HP guide: http://www.frc-tech.com/docs/manuals/SG/hpcompaq/MSG - HP Pavilion dv5000.pdf

Note: disassembling a laptop is not for the faint of heart - there are many steps, lots of small screws and fragile parts - but it fixed my laptop and I'd do it again.

Student
sombriks
Message 4 of 4 (4,704 Views)

[ Edited ]

hello,

just to say that the same thing happened to my hp pavillion dv5-1220br.

First of all it's too difficult to clean the fan, you have to disasemble the entire machine. Second, this fan surrived only 1 year and one month.

Im' not going to send my machine for repair for weeks, would be nice to find some place to buy the fan.

btw, this tutorial is pretty good, thanks a lot, wht

http://www.frc-tech.com/docs/manuals/SG/hpcompaq/MSG%20-%20HP%20Pavilion%20dv5000.pdf

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation