Question
HP Pavillion tx2000 Tablet PC - Overheating?
Replies (157)

Tutor
tinkerjack
Message 141 of 158 (6,116 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion tx2000 Tablet PC - Overheating?

The reason W& worked for me is that I did a clean install which removed all the crap HP had running in the background. I went to the site and downloaded only the necessary drivers. Now my fancy buttons don't work, but I don't need to sit on a block of ice to work on the computer.

Tutor
tinkerjack
Message 142 of 158 (6,111 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion tx2000 Tablet PC - Overheating?

This is what happened to my first one - I had an extended warranty and when I sent it they told me I had spilled liquid on the motherboard. Based on this I suspect that something melted or the processor overheated courtesy of the video card. Before it died it got hot enough to burn me. I took the easy way out. I did a clean install of W7 on the new one (took the warranty company to the local TV station - it's faster than better business or court - and they gave me a new similar model) and so far it hasn't been overheating. I've had this one since October of last year. By this many months into the old one, it was overheating badly.

Tutor
dr_dna
Message 143 of 158 (5,919 Views)

I also have a tx2500 and it has severe overheating and freezing problems. I can tell it is about to die completely any day now. 

This is the worst laptop I have ever owned and the worst customer support. I have been buying laptops for over 10 years and have never experienced such a bad design and horrible service.  

I will not purchase another HP laptop again unless HP does something to help all of us that purchased tx2500 and other affected models. 

I am filing complaints at the Better Business Bureau, FTC, and Ripoff Report.

http://www.bbb.org/

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

http://www.ripoffreport.com/

I suggest you all do the same. Please spread the word too. 

Student
reedhtr
Message 144 of 158 (5,874 Views)

I found a solution to this for my tx2000, and hope this works for your machines.  Dialing back the power level to the embedded wireless device did the trick.  Prior to changing, I couldn't run games, draw using corel painter, or even watch videos without hearing the cooling fan kick on and often seeing the system shut down on me from overheating.  Since setting up my new power plan, I haven't had a single shutdown, I rarely hear the cooling fan kick on, and my wireless still works fine.

Go to control panel -> power options -> "create a power plan" (it's on the left side) ->name it whatever you want.  It's been too long for me to remember, but I'm pretty sure my power plan was based on power saver.

The only important setting (the only one I changed before I saw my system behaving) was under "change advanced power settings" -> expand "Wireless adapter settings" -> Power saving mode.  Change this from "maximum power setting" to  "Medium Power Saving".

Remember to change your current power plan to the one you created.  Hopefully the overheating will come to an end for you too.

Tutor
dr_dna
Message 145 of 158 (5,836 Views)

Can anyone confirm that this work?  

reedhtr wrote:

I found a solution to this for my tx2000, and hope this works for your machines.  Dialing back the power level to the embedded wireless device did the trick.  Prior to changing, I couldn't run games, draw using corel painter, or even watch videos without hearing the cooling fan kick on and often seeing the system shut down on me from overheating.  Since setting up my new power plan, I haven't had a single shutdown, I rarely hear the cooling fan kick on, and my wireless still works fine.

Go to control panel -> power options -> "create a power plan" (it's on the left side) ->name it whatever you want.  It's been too long for me to remember, but I'm pretty sure my power plan was based on power saver.

The only important setting (the only one I changed before I saw my system behaving) was under "change advanced power settings" -> expand "Wireless adapter settings" -> Power saving mode.  Change this from "maximum power setting" to  "Medium Power Saving".

Remember to change your current power plan to the one you created.  Hopefully the overheating will come to an end for you too.

Student
davidisaza
Message 146 of 158 (5,358 Views)

Doesn't work,, what a surprise!!,,  i got a tx2000 and its the worst laptop I've ever had, the overheating issue make this laptop useless, mine works at 101 C !!  ,....... never buy a HP..

Intern
ConqHoosteen
Message 147 of 158 (5,348 Views)

After getting my motherboard replaced, I upgraded to Windows 7.  I did not do a clean install, but instead just upgraded the Vista OS that came preloaded.  I did an upgrade because I wanted to keep some of the tablet software that came preloaded.  I have noticed dramatically less CPU usage just from doing that, and as a result my computer has been running much cooler.  It was a pain to get HP to finally replace the motherboard, but they probably realized there was something wrong after they replaced the heatsink three times and it never got any better.  I noticed dramatic temperature improvements after the motherboard replacement (even running Windows Vista) and especially after upgrading to Windows 7.

This really is a decent computer.  It is small and has a processor that generates quite a bit of heat, so it is going to run hotter.  Windows Vista was a resource hog, so I attribute that to part of the problem, but I also think I had a defective motherboard out of the box.  When you combine those two attributes, I'm not surprised it got as hot as it did.  In the end, I really think HP should have maybe done some more testing with this model.

In general, I feel HP makes better quality computers than some other brands, like Dell.  My company has reluctantly switched from Dell to HP and we are already noticing improvements in quality across the board.  Even if this model was a flop, I would not base my opinion of an entire brand on one computer.  That is like saying you will never buy another American car because you had problems with a Ford you used to own.  It just makes you sound uneducated.

Tutor
tinkerjack
Message 148 of 158 (5,289 Views)

My opinion is not based on the performance of one computer, but on the performance of the company. Taking responsibility for putting loyal HP users through this mess would be the best course of action, but they have not done that.

I know the economy is bad and it would be costly for them to fix this error, but I should think the trust of their long time customers would be worth it.

I have an HP notebook bought in 2003 that still works and runs just fine.  I have an HP printer bought around the same time and that still works as well as when I bought it.

However I am deeply disappointed in HP and have been hunting for a new company while monitoring this thread to see if they own up to their mistake.

Tutor
dr_dna
Message 149 of 158 (5,284 Views)

ConqHoosteen wrote:

Even if this model was a flop, I would not base my opinion of an entire brand on one computer.  That is like saying you will never buy another American car because you had problems with a Ford you used to own.  It just makes you sound uneducated.

Here is the problem with how HP is handling this. The overheating/black screen issue is NOT specific to any one model but affects most of HP's Pavilion line. There is a design flaw across several models (regarless of Intel/Amd or Nvidia/Ati) that causes the GPU/CPU to overheat and eventually stop working alltogether. Yet HP refuses to take any action even though they are well aware of these problems.   

Yes, they finally owned up to the issues on some of the models which had the faulty Nvidia chips, but how do you explain that the same exact problems exist in the HP's AMD notebooks with ATI graphics?  Yet none of these models, including the Tx series, were included in any recall to this date.

I had a lot of respect for HP. I have had multiple HP printers, a scanner, from back in the early 90's and they are all running as good as new until today.  I was proud to be purchasing what I thought to be a "top of the line" laptop. For what I paid for my Tx2500, I could have gotten a Thinkpad, which is the industry standard for reliability. I have deeply regretted this decision ever since and I refuse to purchase another HP product unless they offer some support here.  

Student
DrDanDongus
Message 150 of 158 (4,904 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion tx2000 Tablet PC - Overheating?

Silo I have a solution :0 I just did it today with my dad. U gotta take apart your computer and get to the fan, but retardedly, to get to the fan u gotta take out like everything. Even the monitor, hdd, keyboard, motherboard, kitchen sink, ect. Once you do, clean all the fudge out of the part that looks like fish gills (I took like 3 pounds Out of mine). Btw I have a tx 2000 andmi egot so hot that you couldn't put your finger on it for more than a second, no joke. It also turned itself off whenever I played Portal 2 for a long time, which is an insanely epic game (especially the ending :smileysurprised:). After I cleaned it out, the temp dropped approx. like perhaps even up to 70 degrees, when I game, Ikr :smileysurprised:. But also, whenI disassembled my laptop , I broke my keyboard temporarily because I unplugged the zif connector thingy inside on both the keyboard and the mouse inside, which was my fault so don't worry about that. Unplug your power supply when it gets hot, helps loads. But I gtg cus my Garry's Mod server just loaded and I'm on my iPod.
K urwelcm.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation