Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TS 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

SimplePass was working correctly before some laptop problems yesterday.  I have resolved the problems which were not related to SimplePass.  However, I inadvertenly deleted HP SimplePass.  I have downloaded/installed the software from your site, but it still does not work.  Is there a configuration issue involved here?   What I want to do is scan my fingerprint to access Windows ... that's all.  I've been working on this for quite a while and would really appreciate some help.

Thanks ...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't have any experience with SimplePass although I do use a third party fingerprint reader.

You can try registering your log-on fingerprint directly through Windows rather than SimplePass.

Here's a detailed tutorial on how to do it.

Add Log-On Fingerprint to Windows 8.1 Account

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hopefully this guide will help.

Setting Up HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader - Windows 8

HP Recommended

I can't even get to these screens.  When I enter HP SimplePass, it takes me to the screen "My Launch Site" and states I have no websites registered with SimplePass.  I just want to scan my fingerprint to log into Windows, as I have been since I purchased the laptop in 2013.  I am not interested in having my fingerprint login for any websites, etc.  I just want to scan my fingerprint and go into Windows after startup or sleep states. 

Thanks ...

HP Recommended

Howard,

You do not need HP SimplePass software if all you want to do is use the fingerprint reader to log into Windows.

You do, however, need  not to have removed the Windows 8.1 Native fingerprint Software from Programs and Features.

The software in Programs is named something to the order of "Validity DDK software" or similar.  This is NOT be be confused with the Validity Sensor Driver that one finds in the Device Manager.

Use only the Windows 8.1 Native fingerprint software

Assuming you have not removed the Windows fingerprint software from your computer, the following may work:

• Be Prepared – There is truly nothing like hindsight; this is not the time to test the truth of that statement.

• Uninstall the HP SimplePass program

NOTE Windows 8.x: You may be asked whether to Uninstall / Remove the BIOMETRICS Sign-in options when you Uninstall the HP SimplePass (Series 6) program. You do not want to remove the Windows Native Biometric sign-in option – removing the Biometrics will damage the Native onboard logon setup.   Validity Biometrics Logon is in Programs and Features. In almost every instance, you want to leave this alone.

• Reboot the computer and log in
  • Reinstall the correct Validity Sensor Driver for your notebook

Control Panel > set icon view > Device Manager >

Open category Biometric Devices >

Right-Click on Validity Sensor Driver > Uninstall (do NOT tick the box to delete the driver)

• Reboot the computer and log in

Check your Sign-in Options

• Control Panel > Users > Make Changes to my account in PC Settings > Sign-in Options

==============================================

Manually Reset / Resintall HP SimplePass

If you are convinced you have been using HP SimplePass as a Sign-in option, then you can continue to do so, assuming you can get the software to work.   You should install the latest version of the Correct Series of the HP SimplePass program AFTER you reinstall the correct Validity Sensor Driver.

You can use the information available at your computer's support pages to reinstall your program and driver.

The Validity Sensor Driver, should such be available for your Operating System, shall be posted in:

• Category Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices

The HP SimplePass Program, if such is available for your Operating System, shall be posted in:

Category Software - Security

Reinstall HP SimplePass - Dragon Document

The following is provided "for your information" - no guarantees are implied.

Open the file > Click on Download > Click “Open in Adobe Reader”

Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

Read the first page: Dragon Document Guidelines

If your HP SimplePass is not working and you are convinced it is installed properly:

See Page 10 (at writing) – Follow the Procedure Pile of Rubble - Hard Reset Sequence

If no joy, go back and follow:

Procedure - Update / (Re) Install HP SimplePass

• Pay attention to Order of Events
  • Figure out which SERIES HP SimplePass you are using BEFORE you start -- Series 6 and Series 8 are not compatible with one another.

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to say Thank You!

And...Click Accept as Solution when my Answer provides a Fix or Workaround!

I am pleased to provide assistance on behalf of HP. I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I don't have any experience with SimplePass although I do use a third party fingerprint reader.

You can try registering your log-on fingerprint directly through Windows rather than SimplePass.

Here's a detailed tutorial on how to do it.

Add Log-On Fingerprint to Windows 8.1 Account

HP Recommended

Thanks for the replies folks.  I've had time to do some research on my fingerprint logon problem, and I am in complete agreement with your statements.  It looks like the problem is on the Windows side.  I don't have time to look into it right now.  But as soon as I have a chance to read your comments more carefully, I should be on the way to solving this.  Again, I sure appreciate the responses. 

Thanks,

Howard

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.