Question

Tutor
edannjoy
Message 1 of 20 (15,232 Views)

HP Update Pop Up

I keep getting a HP Update pop up that says "An updat is available.  Would you like to download and install this update now?  The pop up does not have anything to click on to answer the question.  The only way to get rid of the pop up is to reboot.  I understand that there is a patch for Vista for this problem but I have XP.  Help.
Tutor
edannjoy
Message 2 of 20 (15,159 Views)

Re: HP Update Pop Up

Does anyone have a solution to the problem of update popup that keeps appearing on my screen and has no button to click on for update?  Have to reboot to clear popup.
Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 3 of 20 (15,142 Views)

edannjoy wrote:
I keep getting a HP Update pop up that says "An updat is available.  Would you like to download and install this update now?  The pop up does not have anything to click on to answer the question.  The only way to get rid of the pop up is to reboot.  I understand that there is a patch for Vista for this problem but I have XP.  Help.

You'll need to restart the message so it's gone.  Then you'll need to make sure you've exited the HP Total Care Advisor or any other HP programs that might be running as icons in the task tray near the clock.  Then you'll need to go to the Start Menu -> All Programs -> HP (Hewlett-Packard) and run the HP Update program...

That should fix it, if not let me know.

Student
ChrisMcAndrew
Message 4 of 20 (14,424 Views)

Hello!  I also keep getting an HP Update pop-up which tells me "An update is available.  Would you like to download and install this update now?"  My pop-up has nothing to click on to answer the question!  I am running Windows 7 Prof, 32-bit   I will try to get rid of it with a reboot for now.  Is there is a patch for Win7?.  Computers!  Huh!
Student
richardKeenan
Message 5 of 20 (12,827 Views)

How can I destroy this annoying popup "HP update" that won't let me choose an option and  won't let me operate on ny lower left screen?   I couldn't get this update if I wanted it...Why won't HP correct this annoyance? 

richardkeenan2009@comcast.net

Grad Student
Homerepairman
Message 6 of 20 (12,813 Views)

It might be a scheduled task.

If it is just delete the task.

You can also kill the process with the task manager.

This will kill it temporarily but may resume on the next boot.

Just a thought...

Top Student
Danny_boy_1_1
Message 7 of 20 (11,639 Views)

I use a decent HP computer at home and I have a good impression of the quality and ability of HP products, but this annoying popup (if that's an accurate description) completely mystifies me. How did this get by product testing? This HP Update message, which has no actionable buttons or text or anything, and no way to dismiss or cancel unless one reboots, appears on both my home machine and work machine, both of which have HP peripherals attached. It is truly a great wonder.

Tutor
StevePhillips
Message 8 of 20 (11,634 Views)

I was getting that also - it is coming from HP Update.

I found if I click on the box and then hit the ENTER key, it would go to next screen and tell me what the update was, allow me to initiate download, etc.

If you want to disable automatic updates like this, you can do it from Start Menu  -  HP  -  HP Update

There is a Settings button at the bottom of the main panel where you can select frequency of the check for updates  - weekly or never.

sp

Top Student
Danny_boy_1_1
Message 9 of 20 (11,626 Views)

Thanks, man. Good information. I gave you a Kudo. :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
hawkpa
Message 10 of 20 (11,617 Views)

Thank you, your solution got rid of that nasty pop-up.  Kudos to you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation