Question

Honor Student
ximinez
Message 1 of 4 (1,429 Views)

HP dm1-4003au keyboard and touchpad lock up when CPU is under high workload

For the last couple of days I have been experiencing a problem with my HP dm1-4003au. Whenever the CPU runs under high workload for a while, the keyboard and touchpad become non-responsive. After a restart everything goes back to normal, which points to a software problem, rather than hardware. This usually happens when I'm playing a game (almost every time after a couple of minutes of Civilization IV) or watching an HD video (720p for 15 minutes is usually enough). I'm not sure if this problem is caused by CPU itself or high temperature caused by high workload. I have updated and/or reinstalled keyboard, hotkeys and touchpad drivers as well as flashed BIOS. External USB mouse works fine.

Any thoughts other than "take your computer to the shop" are welcome. Are there any diagnostic tools I could use? 

Honor Student
ximinez
Message 2 of 4 (1,418 Views)

Re: HP dm1-4003au keyboard and touchpad lock up when CPU is under high workload

UPDATE: Turns out it might be a hardware problem after all - sometimes when the computer is hot even restarting doesn't help, I have to wait until it cools down and try again. I'd understand if it was an overheating issue, but I clean the vents regularly and the problem happens even when watching videos or performing virus scans (both CPU-heavy, but normal tasks). It never behaved like this before.

Any ideas what might be causing the issue? I'm reluctant to take it to the shop, because I can't be left without a laptop for at least the coming two weeks, and the muppets in service centers always start by wiping the HDD clean but won't accept it without a hard drive (in case I want to leave it behind, so I don't have to reinstall every piece of software I use). However, I don't see much choice at this point.

Top Student
Sam_Ofiana
Message 3 of 4 (1,364 Views)

I also experiencing the same problem. HP doesn't care replying here though...

My latop is HP DM1-4000au.

Honor Student
ximinez
Message 4 of 4 (922 Views)

It was definitely a hardware issue. I took it to an HP service center and after a few days I got my laptop back with a new motherboard. The post-repair slip did not specify the malfunction in a form that I could understand, just a series of codes for errors.

In conclusion, if you're experiencing this issue and your computer is still under warranty, get it fixed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation