Question

Honor Student
skigirl1689
Message 1 of 5 (10,764 Views)

HP dv4t Laptop Fan Runs Constantly

I am hoping someone just happens to be a computer genius and can help me, but this may be wishful thinking. Here's a short version of all the issues I've had:

I bought an HP laptop in July. In late October the hard drive crashed twice. It then, in late November, began turning on by itself so I again contacted technical support through email and they instructed me to download something to stop it from doing this. Immediately after I did this the fan began running constantly and would turn off only if the laptop was shut down. I again contacted technical support and they said it needed to be sent in for the problem to be rectified.

I sent it out Dec. 3rd and in mid January they still hadn't fixed it so they offered to send me a new one. I was so happy, until yesterday when I got the new one. The fan runs constantly and is quite loud. One HP person said it's normal and two said it's not and needs to be sent back. There are two options in the BIOS: to enable the fan to run constantly or to disable the fan from running constantly. I'm worried if I disable the fan from running constantly, I will overheat the thing. But the fan is noisy and would be disruptive when I have to use it at school. I'm also worried about the fan will burn out from running all of the time.

Any ideas if it's normal or if disabling the fan from running constantly will harm it? I am going to take it into my school's computer repair instructor on Monday and see if he has any ideas and if he doesn't unfortunately I'll be sending a brand new computer back. I am so frustrated as not having a laptop makes college that much tougher as I have cerebral palsy and rely on computers for everything.

~Becca
Honor Student
liberty0
Message 2 of 5 (9,283 Views)

Re: HP dv4t Laptop Fan Runs Constantly

Thanks for noting this.  I recently updated the BIOS on my laptop (a DV8T) and now the fan stays on all the time.  I didn't know you could set the BIOS to have the fan run constantly, or (I assume) only come on when it reaches a threshold of CPU use.  Before I upgraded the BIOS the fan never came on.  I'll try the OFF option and see if it comes on now and then.

Tutor
_71charger440RT
Message 3 of 5 (9,241 Views)

My system is a dv8t but I'll bet it's the same problem I had. The fan issue is annoying but the more serious problem is that all 8 cores are constantly running some background process which slows the machine down to virtually unusable.

The BIOS update (7001 F.15) seems to be the cause of this problem.

I don't know if the bug is in the BIOS or in the update process but here's the sequence -

The HP update software starts by generating a message that there are 7 important actions that need to be reviewed. The first is to update (Flash) the BIOS. In my case from F.6 to F.15. After the file is downloaded, the Flash software launches and updates the BIOS, but fails to record this with the HP update software. When my system rebooted, I got a message that the machine had been shutdown due to an overheating problem (!!??). When Windows finally came up, I noticed all 8 cores pegged at nearly 100% CPU utilization and the machine was EXTREMELY slow; fan howling away like crazy...

After half a day of trying to figure out what HP downloaded that totally hosed my machine and how to correct it, here's what I did to recover my machine, YMMV...

After rebooting and hitting ESC to get to the BIOS setup, I disabled 'fan always on' in the BIOS settings but after a reboot, the fan was still going full speed and the 8 cores were still pegged near 100%... After going back into the BIOS setup, I tried hitting F9 to restore defaults and then disabled the fan again. This time Windows 7 comes up and the first thing I notice is the fan is now running normally (v. low speed and quiet). Even better, the system is responsive and the utilization on the CPU cores is but a few percent. FINALLY, back to normal.

How this got past HP QA is beyond me. Oh wait, that assumes HP has QA...:smileysurprised:

Driving with cerebellum in neutral not recommeded. :smileywink:
Honor Student
liberty0
Message 4 of 5 (9,219 Views)

Well that worked!  Thank you sooo much. :manvery-happy:  I hope this works for skigirl's dv4t.  I recall reading about fan problems on a dv8 forum.  I'll have to poke around and spread your knowledge around.

Honor Student
skigirl1689
Message 5 of 5 (9,203 Views)

I actually forgot I had this issue...I leave the fan run and it's fine:smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation