HP dv6500 series will not turn on (29204 Views)
inc Honor Student
Honor Student
inc
Message 1 of 28 (29,204 Views)

HP dv6500 series will not turn on

This is a known issue with HP dv6500 but they told me that my model does not fall under the program even though it has the same exact problem... figures...    When I push the power button the power light on the front edge and the wireless light turn on but then turn off immediately.  I have to take the battery out, unplug it, then plug it back in and put the battery back in and it does the same thing again.  I've tried simply pushing the quick play button but that does the same thing.  I read on Hip’s website that it was an issue with the mother board and there was a bios update to prevent it from happening.  Has anyone else had this problem and have been able to get it to turn on?  Once I get it turned on I can run the update myself.
Top Student
Porto_Filho
Message 2 of 28 (29,177 Views)

Re: HP dv6500 series will not turn on

I have the same with my dv910.. about the bios, once you got the problem i dont think the update will solve it, as you said, the update is to prevent that..

in the Warranty Enhancement page you can read:

"The new BIOS release for your notebook PC is preventative in nature to reduce the likelihood of future system issues. The BIOS updates the fan control algorithm of the system, and turns the fan on at low volume while your notebook PC is operational. If you are currently experiencing any symptoms on your notebook PC, please contact HP for support."

Honor Student
NickWA
Message 3 of 28 (28,987 Views)

I have have had the same problem with mine. I thought mine crashed. IF you find out a responce let me know.
Owner Of Hp Pavillion dv6500
Honor Student
Trini83
Message 4 of 28 (29,031 Views)

I am having the same problem with mine at the moment

First the wirelss internet went and now the this problem

I will not be purchasing another HP product because I only have my laptop 2 years and I keep getting new problems

No wonder they only give ONE year warranty because they expect it to go bad sooon

Honor Student
NickWA
Message 5 of 28 (29,022 Views)

I wouldn't be too quick to jump to a conclusion like the warrentys, but I agree with you I have the same model and problems.
Owner Of Hp Pavillion dv6500
Honor Student
korberk
Message 6 of 28 (29,107 Views)

I have the same issue with a 2 month old dv5. I am not happy. I didn't pay for a part-time computer. I paid for it to turn on when I want it to not when it feels like it!
Top Student
gotaluvit
Message 7 of 28 (28,600 Views)

I have the same problem with my HP6500. It cycles on and off every few seconds but does not engage the hard drive and all I see is a black screen...only 3 mos out of warranty. My exact model # is an HP6627ca. They said I was not covered by the extended warranties but it was definitely a hardware issue. Not so sure it is the motherboard or maybe the hard drive.
Student
jonpaul
Message 8 of 28 (28,596 Views)

I too am having the same problem. It happened to me a couple of week ago. luckly I was still under warrenty. I sent it to them, then the wanted $700 to fix the key board and some other thing. I told them no. the sent it back to me fixed. Now, today it started doing the same thing again. I have like 10 days left on my warrenty. I wonder what luck i'll have with them. In less that one year my laptop has crashed 3 times. Here I go again. I think I'll contact my states office to see if the lemon law applies?
Top Student
gotaluvit
Message 9 of 28 (28,455 Views)

I know this may sound crazy but here is a solution for at least recovering my data off the hard drive of my dv6500 that  worked for me. . I was not covered by the extended warranties even though I had an AMD processor and nvidia graphics card which are likely at the root of the problem.Basically my machine would start up then shut off - never giving me a screen- and it just kept doing this cycle

By this point I had tried all the usual stuff, removing the battery, ram and hard drive (3 mos. out of warranty). So I was searching the internet and found an obscure comment that someone  had suggested freezing the hard drive might allow you to at least boot the machine long enough to recover important files. Tried it, no luck. Desperate, I decided to put the whole machine out in the garage, which was below freezing. Worried about condensation issues, but hey I was desperate. It worked - machine came to life for 20 minutes before freezing on a screen of denim blue horizontal lines. Kept repeating this (freezing it) till I had been on long enough to run Health Check and load any updates.  But basically no matter what , the laptop is toast unlless I keep refreezing it...which perhaps suggests it was an overheating issue just like the models covered by extended warranty. So if you are desperate to recover some files you can give this a try.

Honor Student
jbcindy
Message 10 of 28 (27,973 Views)

Had the same issue. I was instructed to return it. That was in November. It is March and I still do not have the laptop back, so be careful if you decide to return it. I am stoked that "concerned" departments are all over this though!:smileywink:
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation