Question

Tutor
Technique
Message 1 of 10 (13,522 Views)

HP going out of business?

So, what's going on? I just dropped $1,300 for an HP DV6TQE, and I was wondering if you guys could give me some input on whether I should consider cancelling the order? I couldn't find similar hardware for the price at any other seller. What will happen to the Laptops? Is it still a good investment to make? Any comments or helpful tips would be appreciated. 

PS: I don't know if i'm posting under the correct forum subdivision, my apologies in advance. 

Thanks!!!

Teacher
bnjroo
Message 2 of 10 (13,517 Views)

Re: HP going out of business?

until we all have computers imbedded in our craniums with surround sound and full 3D congitive center interface, virtually virtual reality, if you will, then laptops are here to stay.

something to keep in mind...anything that is on the market today is already obsolete. don't go chasing the best thing available, or you're gonna drain your bank account every week. buy the best technology that you can afford and leave room for upgrades, RAM, HDD, CPU in some cases.

just my two cents

"There's no such thing as a fool proof system. Someone will make a better fool tomorrow."
Tutor
Technique
Message 3 of 10 (13,475 Views)

Lol yeah that's true, but I'm specifically inquiring about HP laptops :smileytongue:.

Tutor
kaialii
Message 4 of 10 (13,358 Views)

I also bought a DV6t about a year ago. It's a fantastic machine, couldn't find a similar product anywhere for any price.  There is nothing out there that has the same features I bought from HP.  Fingerprint reader, backlit keyboard, 15.6 inch screen and Intel processor.

kaialii
Teacher
bnjroo
Message 5 of 10 (13,355 Views)

i have a dv6-6140us i bought a couple weeks ago, and the ONLY thing i wish it had was a backlit keyboard. i wonder if that's available as a mod/swap =)

"There's no such thing as a fool proof system. Someone will make a better fool tomorrow."
Teacher
Teacher
JRI
Message 6 of 10 (12,460 Views)

I wouldn't use the word "investment" for an item that is old technology 6 months after you buy it. :smileyhappy:

That aside, I feel your pain as I just took delivery on a $1,469 dv6tQE. While the news that HP is selling the computer division makes you wonder if you made a good buy I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The product line will still be supported by who ever takes it over. I bought this notebook after finding it to be the best bang for the buck. This hasn't changed. The next generation may be better or worse but that will have no effect on this one.

I wouldn't cancel the order but do what you feel comfortable doing.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 7 of 10 (12,278 Views)

HP is not going out of business, the CEO is "thinking" about selling the consumer PC division, which means someone like Dell will buy it, HP will continue to support what it has sold up until that point, then who ever buys it will take over support, kind of like when Lenovo bought IBM's PC business years back.

But considering how mad investors are, the CEO of HP might be around too long.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44221142/ns/business-us_business/#.TlIV0SjZNEA

Agree, PC's are not an investment, an "investment" is supposed to go up in value, not down.

Tutor
kaialii
Message 8 of 10 (11,866 Views)

Isn't a PC  an investment in a tool to be used as you see fit?  Kind of like how a carpenter invests in a saw?

kaialii
Teacher
bnjroo
Message 9 of 10 (11,849 Views)

Strictly speaking, an investment should go up in value. Land, Company Stock, Famous Paintings, all tend to go up in value. Vehicles, Technologies, Steak Dinner, all go down in value as soon as you leave the point of purchase.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 10 of 10 (11,795 Views)

kaialii wrote:

Isn't a PC  an investment in a tool to be used as you see fit?  Kind of like how a carpenter invests in a saw?

I see that as an investment in yourself and your skills to use the tool than the tool itself.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation