HP laptop screen went black (13420 Views)
Honor Student
sklinton
Message 1 of 6 (13,420 Views)

HP laptop screen went black

I have a HP Pavillion Dv 1000.  The screen went black all of a sudden.  Upon further inspection while shining a light I could see very faintly .  I went into the properties to try and switch the screen to an external monitor.  And then the screen went completely black and I can't see anything.  I've tried to take the back of the screen off and shinning a light through but nothing shows up.  I've tried to hook it up to external monitors several times and nothing happens.  When I turn it on now it shows the windows logo then to a screen with writing then it turns black.  It sounds like it boots up fine but I can't see a thing.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Top Student
wild2475
Message 2 of 6 (13,407 Views)
Grad Student
compenthusiast
Message 3 of 6 (13,396 Views)

Re: HP laptop screen went black

Hi sklinton, sometimes to enable the external monitor, you have to press a Fn key-plus--Function key combination; on my laptop, looking at the Function keys---the one that shows the external monitor is F4 (which means Fn +F4)---yours may be different.

If you can see the screen dimly---sounds like your backlite is out. An external monitor will confirm this.

sklinton
Message 4 of 6 (13,331 Views)

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried the function option to switch to external screen and that hasn't helped.  Any ohter options?

thanks

LInton

Grad Student
compenthusiast
Message 5 of 6 (13,323 Views)

Hi again sklinton, have you made a recovery disc? You can use your Windows disc also; it should go to a startup repair mode, then try to diagnose and repair the problem. If it cannot fix the problem, you will be given choices of repairing Windows, reverting to a restored state, or re-imaging from a backup (if you've made one).

In the absence of any discs, you can contact HP for a recovery disc set, or bring it to either HP or your local repair shop, depending on your warranty.

Hope this helps.

Good luck, and reply back with your progress, please.

Obi-ten
Message 6 of 6 (8,351 Views)

Good day, the screen of my HP laptop went blank, i don't know why, it's giving me a concern

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation