Question

Honor Student
cshukla
Message 1 of 15 (19,011 Views)

HP550 Battery Not Charging, Shows Steady, works with AC power

I have hp550 laptop about 17 months old, bought in March 2009. My battery is not being charged.

Power meter shows Current power source: AC Power and battery remaining 49%.... but now it is not charging anymore, also if I unplug the laptop from ac power it imeediately losses the power and laptop is down (like a desktop).

Untill today morning everything was fine... due to some need I unpluged the laptop (100% charged) and after an hour or something, I plugged it back to AC power... and now i noticed that it is not being charged. I turned off the laptop and tried to unplug and plug in but it didn't worked.

Now, whenever I plug in the laptop to ac power it shows "a flash of white light" and disappears at the battery indicator light, which was normally showing "Orange - when in charging" "Blue - when almost charged" "no indicator - when completely charged"

If i keep it connected to AC power laptop remains on... but not charging the battery.

What could be the problem and how it can be solved... is there any way out???

Pls help. Thanks in advance

Student
Richard_Reeves
Message 2 of 15 (18,990 Views)

Re: HP550 Battery Not Charging, Shows Steady, works with AC power

Honor Student
cshukla
Message 3 of 15 (18,982 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for reply,

For  calibration processs  battery needs to be charged but for my laptop battery is not charging at all.

Like desktop PC if i connect to ac power laptop works ok and if i remove the AC power source it immediately goes down instead of switching to the battery source and also when I remain connected to AC power battery should charge but it doesn't charge at all.

is my battery finished... is there any way to check it?

Thanks again

C Shukla

Student
legendrydeepak
Message 4 of 15 (18,863 Views)

hey,,

i also have the same problem...suddenly my laptop battery got empty and since after that it is not charging. it shows a constant level and when i remove the plug in connection it gets switched off. also when i plug in it just once blinks the light and then it disappers. it neither shows blue or orange color.

please help.

Student
thomastbk
Message 5 of 15 (17,846 Views)

I am having the same problem and mine is the same age. Is HP aware of this and are they doing anything about it. Sounds like this is an on going problem with this model.

550 Student
Student
Message 6 of 15 (17,816 Views)

Same problem here.

I have an HP 550 18 months old. The battery stopped charging at 40% and now the laptop is running on AC power. If I disconnect AC power the laptop will turn off. 

Master's Graduate
phttech
Message 7 of 15 (17,811 Views)

these links may give you some answers

HP Battery Check Frequently Asked Questions

Understanding Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology

While I work on behalf of HP I'm not speaking for HP but trying to provide best effort support.
Student
AweMax
Message 8 of 15 (16,946 Views)

So, guys, did anybody solved this problem?

Honor Student
joelpt
Message 9 of 15 (16,438 Views)

Same thing happened to me so I purchased new power lead - didn't resolve problem, then purchased a new battery - still didn't resolve problem

When I hover over the battery icon i get a message saying plugged in but not charging. Anyone figured out a fix for this yet?

thanks

Student
TracieM
Message 10 of 15 (16,347 Views)

Funnily enough - I have the same issue!  Laptop around 18 months old and the battery has not charged for around 3 months now!  The charger also no longer works so am debating about buying a new laptop - has anyone had a response from HP on this?  The first message on this topic has been viewed over 2000 times - surely HP must recognise there is an issue with this model and take some responsibility or is this the average life span of their products?

joelpt wrote:

Same thing happened to me so I purchased new power lead - didn't resolve problem, then purchased a new battery - still didn't resolve problem

When I hover over the battery icon i get a message saying plugged in but not charging. Anyone figured out a fix for this yet?

thanks

vi

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation