Hard Drive Repair or Hard Drive Replace (2163 Views)
Honor Student
vivi2day
Message 1 of 3 (2,163 Views)

Hard Drive Repair or Hard Drive Replace

HP Pavilion dv6700 Entertainment PC - laptop; hp service tag: dv6810us

Which method is best to repair a laptop when it has: "Windows failed to start":

1) Hard Drive Repair - by using the recovery disc (but do not have it since it did not come with PC).

Then Repair Windows

2) Hard Drive Replace; then reinstall Windows

Thanks!

Associate Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 3 (2,155 Views)

Re: Hard Drive Repair or Hard Drive Replace

This issue means that the Operating System is corrupted. You can try repairing the operating system using Startup repair. Please look in Hard Drive detected section in the following weblink:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00899280&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

If the issue persists, I suggest you perform Recovery to restore the system back to factory settings.

Recover Windows Vista Operating System Using HP Recovery

You do not need to replace hard drive for this issue unless until it is critical hardware failure.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
PhD Student
Knute
Message 3 of 3 (2,138 Views)

Re: Hard Drive Repair or Hard Drive Replace

Can you get to windows via Safe Mode? (pressing F8 after BIOS is done).  If you can, try running a chkdsk /f on C:\

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation