Help! Cannot remove Windows password because of HP ProtectTools (4608 Views)
Honor Student
Duskmoon101
Message 1 of 15 (4,608 Views)

Help! Cannot remove Windows password because of HP ProtectTools

[ Edited ]

Hello there. I'm new to this so I have no idea where I should be posting this, but...

Anyhow. I am trying to remove my Windows password from the User Accounts setting in the control Panel (I use Windows 7) and it won't let me remove it. An error message pops up saying "Windows cannot remove the password. Password and/or account policies require the account to have a password." and I believe HP ProtectTools is causing this problem since I registered my password using that program.

I have also tried removing credentials in HP ProtectTools, but it forces me to have at least one active. I also tried removing the program completely, but other programs depend on it (A lot of them actually) so removing it is out of the question. 

My account is the only account on my computer and obviously is an administrator. Can anyone help me remove the password from HP ProtectTools so that I can remove it from Windows completely and therefore, don't have to type in a password when Windows starts up?

Thank you in advance. 

Honor Student
Kasivly
Message 2 of 15 (4,577 Views)

Re: Help! Cannot remove Windows password because of HP ProtectTools

You can  use windows password reset disk to remove windows password, if you don't have it, you can create it with some windows password password recovery softwares, such as Smartkey Windows Password Recovery.

Hope it helps you.

Honor Student
techjunkie88
Message 3 of 15 (4,202 Views)

Create another account with administrator priviledge and that should take care of it. After creating the other admin account, log into it and change the previous admin(with the password) to a standard account. The rest is up to you. Let me know if this helps

Top Student
drunkensailor
Message 4 of 15 (4,046 Views)

Hi, I'm having the same problem. When I bought my HP Touchscreen, I let someone use it for a week. They set it up and installed Windows 7, then gave it back to me. It sat in my closet for 5 years and nobody touched it till I took it out and tried to log on but they have thier log on name and I don't know the password. They also took my CD setup so I am stuck. 

How do I get past the user logon screen and remove their name and replace it with one I want to setup?

I tried F11 at start up but I don't see where to change it. I see change supervisor password screen under advanced (I changed it) and I changed the user password as well but it does not change logon password. Did I do something wrong?

Help!

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 5 of 15 (4,044 Views)

[ Edited ]

@drunkensailor,

I understand that you are cannot access the system due to not knowing the password.

Review this document and try the steps that are applicable to your scenario.  One recommendation in the document is to use password recovery tools that are found online. 

If you do a full system recovery from F11 (Vista and up), then that should give it a fresh installation of Windows eliminating the password issue.  However, the recovery partition usually doesn't work after the operating system is changed which it sounds like Windows 7 wasn't the original operating system.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
drunkensailor
Message 6 of 15 (4,040 Views)

Hey Cloud_Strider! Thanks for getting back with me so quick. I am truly stuck here. I can not gain Internet access to even get help from Geeksquad, which I paid $199 a year for and HP wants $60 a year to even answer my questions since my PC is out of warranty, shesh!

To answer your question. Windows 7 was the only OS even installed. It was installed (when I bought the HP Touchsmart new in 2009) and used for one month then the system sat for 4-5 years unused at all till today. I broke it out of the original box and I boot it up, windows opens and there is the problem. Can not remove the user set up. 

How do I a full system recovery? F11 does not even offer that option. 

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 7 of 15 (4,036 Views)

What is the product number?

NOTE: Do NOT provide the serial number.

If the recovery does not work, there may be other options but I will need the product number to verify that.

This document details the various methods of performing a system recovery.  This is generally done by powering the system on and tapping the F11 key about once a second.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
drunkensailor
Message 8 of 15 (4,035 Views)

FQ584AA-ABA

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 9 of 15 (4,027 Views)

[ Edited ]

According to the specifications, this unit came with Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit out of the box.  This is going to limit alternative options if there are any.

If you are in the U.S. or Canada, you can try ordering the official recovery disks from HP on this site.  I cannot guarantee they are available, but they may be.  If the recovery partition works, then there wouldn't be a real need to order them.  Though, I do recommend ordering the disks as they may not be available at some point if not already there.

These steps should provide the steps needed for your system.  

The best option if you want to keep Windows 7 (unless you have the installation disk and product key) may be the password recovery mentioned in the password document I linked to earlier.  I cannot recommend one tool over the other nor mention how to use them.

Let me know what happens with the recovery.

Signature
Top Student
drunkensailor
Message 10 of 15 (4,022 Views)

The recovery disc's are not availble any longer. :smileysad:

Since I do not have the installation disk and product key either. Looks like it's the recovery method. I'm trying this next. Hope it works. Problem is, when I try to locate something that says that when I select F11, I don't see where I'm able to do that. Can you possibly give a step by step? 

Thanks for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation