Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

There seems to be no manual eject button for a DVD/CD disc on an HP Envy 17 3D Notebook.

Therefore if there is a disc in the drive when the OS fails, how can I remove the disc so that I can insert a recovery disc?

I chatted with an HP technical expert, but that person could not resolve the issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

All your docs can be found starting here

does the eject method work when you are at the post screen before windows loads?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Can you post the full product number for your Envy, thanks

HP Product number label.gif

HP Recommended

Product Number: LV045UA#ABA

HP Recommended

Some manufacturers have eject function in the bios, or a keystoke during bios POST at startup to cause an eject,  not sure if HP employs any of these.

Otherwise you have to use your imagination or Google.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpWieIoBBrk

Slot drives were some of the very first cd drives, they stopped making them for years because of high failure rates, so the industry adopted the tray drive, now they are going back to slot load beacuse of size restrictions in the design of notebooks these days.

HP Recommended

No BIOS option to boot from a USB key and no documented key strokes to eject disc during or after POST.

I believe that this is just a design flaw and that there is no alternative.

Thank you for responding.

Regards...

HP Recommended

You can boot from USB by using either ESC or F9 keys at the post screen.

HP Recommended

A real live HP support technician over the phone was able to solve my issues: (1) there IS a keyboard means for ejecting a CD/DVD disc and (2) the F9 Setup key does show a USB boot option -- but only if the Envy is booted AFTER the USB is already inserted.

So my only remaining comments are (1) the chat technician should have also known these solutions and (2) the documentation that ships with the Envy is so minimal that these details are never discussed.

Alls well that ends well and thanx to all of you who were kind enough to respond.

Regards...

HP Recommended

What was the method to eject?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Keyboard method to eject optical disc: Upper right button on keypad.

Also if a USB drive is inserted before bootup, only then will the bios setup will provide an option to boot from that drive. Makes sense after you know anout it. But no documentation about the necessity of inserting the drive before bootup. 

As it turns out there is a Maintenance and Service Guide for the HP Envy 17 that provides a lot more information than the Uer Guide, including referencing the keyboard key. By luck, I found this document by mousing around in Google. Too bad it is not at least mentioned with the dicumentation that comes with the product.

Regards...

HP Recommended

All your docs can be found starting here

does the eject method work when you are at the post screen before windows loads?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.