How can I share a file using Google Drive? (175 Views)
Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 1 of 1 (175 Views)

How can I share a file using Google Drive?

Many users have a gmail account which also provides a Google Drive account.  You may have a file that would be helpful in diagnosing and troubleshooting an issue, such as a minidump file, and are unable to attach it to a post.  Google Drive can host a file and share it over a link making it a little easier for those that are trying to help you.

1.  Go to drive.google.com and signin using your gmail account.

2.  A new Google Drive account should look like the following screenshot.

drive_proactive_1.png

3.  Click the upload icon located next to the CREATE button and select Files for individual files or folders to select a folder containing the files you wish to upload.

drive_proactive_2.png

4.  Select the files you wish to upload and select Open to complete the process.  Once the file(s) is/are uploaded, it should look like this.

drive_proactive_3.JPG

5.  Right-click the file(s) or folder and select Share.

drive_proactive_4.jpg

6.  This will open the Sharing settings.

drive_proactive_5.JPG

7.  The default setting is set to private which is only those in the list can view/edit the file(s) or folder.  Select Change next to Private to get this menu.

drive_proactive_6.JPG

8.  There are two options to share publically: Public on the web and Anyone with the link.  Public on the web will make the file/folder searchable while Anyone with the link would require someone with the link.  Select the Anyone with the link for the purposes of these forums.  The defaults for Anyone with the link should be fine.  Click Save when done.

9.  You will be presented with the link to share the item.

drive_proactive_7.JPG

Copy the link and enter it in your post.  Anyone viewing the post will then be able to access the file.

This should be all there is to sharing a file publically with Google Drive.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation