Question

Tutor
cjperry56
Message 1 of 3 (11,178 Views)

How do I cheaply change my laptop's usb 2.0 ports into usb 3.0? Will an expresscard work?

[ Edited ]

I hope I'm in the right forum for this question, but if I'm not, please tell me what forum I should be in.

I recently purchased an external hard drive that is usb 3.0 and is backwards compatible with usb 2.0.  My HP laptop has 3 usb ports and they're all 2.o.  I'd love to be able to take advantage of the usb 3.0's speed, but I swing a new computer, and I don't think I want to have an internal card installed.  I've seen "usb 3.0 expresscards" at some retailer's websites, but I'm not sure if that would work for my situation.  Does this "expresscard" plug into my 5-in-1 Digital Media Reader?  If so, is there anything I should keep an eye out for while I shop for one?  If this expresscard will NOT work, can someone help me find another solution?

Thanks

{Personal Information Removed}

cjperry56
Tutor
Prov345
Message 2 of 3 (11,175 Views)

Re: How do I cheaply change my laptop's usb 2.0 ports into usb 3.0? Will an expresscard work?

Welcome to the forums.

If your pc has an express card that would likely work great but the 5 in 1 card reader and the express card are not the same thing.

Otherwise there is likely no way to upgrade the usb 2.0 to ss 3.0

its only a backup drive and unless you are doing massive file exchanges or booting from the ext. hdd it would not really be too beneficial.

Man I wish computers did not get faster and better every quarter:smileyvery-happy:

Tutor
cjperry56
Message 3 of 3 (11,135 Views)

Re: How do I cheaply change my laptop's usb 2.0 ports into usb 3.0? Will an expresscard work?

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your quick response.  Let me see if I have this right:  If I buy one of those expresscards that have 2 USB ports on the front and is long and flat on the other end, it will NOT fit into the SD card slot on my laptop?  I guess I just took it for granted that it would work because it looks like it was designed to fit in that slot.  Oh well, I guess I'll just have to struggle along with my "old, outdated" technology!

Thanks again

cjperry56
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation