Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

A "HP Smart Adapter" prompt keeps popping up on my screen. Its' driving me nuts. How do I get it to go away?

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

what does it say?? 😮

||
//Click on Kudos if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
HP Recommended
If you are getting this popup constantly, then this feature is not working as designed. I would suggest you uninstall the Quick Launch software, download and install the latest software from the following weblink:

DESCRIPTION

If connecting a Smart AC power adapter with a lower power rating than required by the notebook, the Smart Feature of the notebook will display one of the following popup messages from the System Tray:

Message # 1

For full performance, connect a higher capacity AC adapter

Message # 2

Smart AC adapter power output is too low for this computer

RESOLUTION

This message occurs as part of the Smart communication feature between the power supply and HP notebook PCs and docking stations. The AC Adapter has notified the system of the power capacity of the attached power supply.

Message #1

Informs the user that as power demands increase, the notebook may not perform at full capacity, which may result in longer charge time of the battery. In cases of extreme power demands, the system may also throttle back the processor or with systems that have discrete video subsystems , a video balance mode may occur to further balance the power needs of the system.

NOTE: System CPU functions always have priority over battery charging, so charging delays will occur first.

Message # 2

Informs the user that the Smart Adapter in use will not meet the recommended power requirements of the notebook. The warning message: "Smart AC adapter power output is too low for this computer" is displayed in the system tray. This warning suggest that the user should obtain a higher capacity AC adapter before continuing to operate the notebook.

NOTE: Docking Stations react somewhat differently. For simplicity, all new docks will block the adapter if the adapter size is not equal to or greater than the adapter size that ships with the dock solution.

If a smaller adapter is attached, then the dock LED light will remain off indicating no power present and the notebook will not be powered by the dock

To resolve this issue:

Use the appropriate AC Power Adapter supplied with the docking station.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

Check this similar issue:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-questions/quot-HP-smart-adapter-quot-message-on-G60-5...

||
//Click on Kudos if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
HP Recommended

What is the Smart Power adaptor worked fine before, but now seems to think it doesn't have enough power? I've had more system for 2 1/2 years, and never had a problem with the adaptor like this.

HP Recommended

I began getting these messages on my AMD dv7-4270us after about a year of use. What worked for me was to shut down and disconnect the power cord from the computer, the smart supply box and the mains.  Then I used contact cleaner on the mains and power box connectors, then took a small square of cloth and sprayed it with contact cleaner and used a toothpick to carefully clean the pin hole. I stress that great care must be taken here and an "in and out" motion seems to be safer than a "twisting" motion.  I allowed everything to dry completely, plugged it back in and have not gotten the message since. I have also heard from another user I know that his power cord was routed behind his computer and pulling the plug sideways.  He started getting the message and solved it by simply taking the cord out, straightening the kink, and routing it so it came straight out from the plug in port.  Hope this is helpful for you!

HP Recommended

New HP ENVY dv6 - it's the adaptor that came with it!!!  Should be NO problems.

HP Recommended

This message is driving me nuts and there is no excuse for it. I have a brand new Envy dv7 laptop and I get the message every single time I plug the adapter into it, and have ever since I took it out of the box. If the adapter HP is pitching is so important, why wasn't it included with my $1200 laptop? It is beyond belief that HP would be so penny wise but pound foolish cuz I'm sure going to remember how cheap you are next time I am in the market for a computer. I may very well end up spending the 25 bucks on a new adapter but I sure won't be buying another computer from you. Shame on you HP.

HP Recommended
I found a permanent solution to that annoying Smart Adapter Pop-up: in Windows Explorer go to the following: 1- C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch 2- Delete file HP Smart Adapter Help and that's it!
HP Recommended

I also have a brand new computer here, just bought it yesterday.

I'm getting message #2 

"The Smart AC Adapter connected will power your computer, but potentially at a reduced performance level. Your computer is designed to vary performance as needed when a smaller capacity Smart AC Adapter is connected.  Resource intesive tasks may cause your system not to perform at it's highest level with a smaller capacity Smart AC Adapter.  Please connect a higher capacity Smart AC Adapter for full performance."

First, this appears to be saying that the computer will not run at full speed for the duration that I use the AC Adapter that came with it in the box.  THis is a problem because, well, I paid more for a FAST computer.  Am I being held hostage until I buy an adapter for additional money that will allow the computer to run as it should be expected to?  Or, did I recieve a defective AC adapter?  How can I get a new one?

Second I have read many posts about this.  Many of them are proposing that I delete files so that the popup stops.  Now, will that fix the performance issue?  or would I simply be masking the problem?  I fel like I should ge thte performanc eout of this comuter that I paid for.  

Im confused here,  can anyone help?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.