Question

Tutor
Bob_in_PGI
Message 1 of 15 (22,403 Views)

How do I set Numeral Lock ON during Computer Startup?

I have a new HP G70 notebook.  In the HP G70 User Guide on Pointing Devices & Keyboards -C01540939.pdf, Subsection 3 Using Keypads, Page 8 there is a note "the keypad function that is active when the computer is turned off will be reinstated when the computer is turned back on".   This does not function on my HP G70 computer.  It always boots up the Numeral Lock OFF.   How can I set my computer to set Numeral Lock ON during computer startup?  I always use the numeric key pad and never use the page up/down - up/down/right/lelt arrow key pad. 

Also, how can I  set my computer to set touch mouse, on the computer, OFF during startup.  I always use an external mouse.

Any help would be appreciated.  This is a simple thing but the present HP G70 operation is most annoying.

Bob_in_PGI
Tutor
Bob_in_PGI
Message 2 of 15 (22,310 Views)

Re: How do I set Numeral Lock ON during Computer Startup?

I am surprised that no one knows how to set the Num Lock ON during startup before login.  Where is the HP help?????

I have Windows 7 64 bit now.

There must be someone that knows how to do this.

Bob in PGI

Bob_in_PGI
PhD Student
Gangles
Message 3 of 15 (22,284 Views)

You might be able to set this option in the system bios
Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Honor Student
CH3COOH
Message 4 of 15 (22,265 Views)

I have a similar problem with my G60-530US laptop running Windows 7. I cannot get num lock to be active at boot or at the logon screen. I tried a number of methods to have num-lock activated at Windows log-on that were suggested for XP and Vista, but with no success. These include making registry changes to set

InitialKeyboardIndicators to a value of 2 at
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard

and also running a numlock.vbs script in
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
as per Microsoft support site
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/314879

Regardless of what I have tried, including shutting down with num lock activated, num lock will be 'off' when the computer is rebooted. There is no setting in the BIOS to control num lock. Does anyone have another suggestion?

I should mention that I have contacted HP about this problem and no one seems to have a solution beyond the ones I have tried (above).

Tutor
Bob_in_PGI
Message 5 of 15 (22,252 Views)

To CH3COOH 

I went through the same items with Microsoft's guidance and came out with the same result.  HP has done something with their software to screw up laptops with numeric key pads.  I am going to HP for help.  My new G70T's Num Lock does NOT operate in accordance with HP's instruction manuals.

I had the same problem on my new G70T with VISTA before I upgraded to Windows 7.

Bob in PGI

Bob_in_PGI
Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 15 (22,245 Views)

I don't have an answer to the number lock issue, but in reference to the touchpad and using usb mouse_you have a button next to the touchpad light to turn it off/on.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
Fairefriend
Message 7 of 15 (22,219 Views)

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and had the problem of my numeric key pad would not work AFTER start up. It worked for me to enter my password but once windows started it would not. My husband and I spent over 2 hours online with HP customer service "chat' and tried all of their ideas, including hard reset and upgrading all drivers and nothing worked.  My husband found a message here on the swame problem but with VISTA and I tried it and it worked. 

Open CONTROL PANEL and click on EASE OF ACCESS CENTER then open Use the Computer Without Keyboard or Mouse check the box Use on screen keyboard, then apply and open the onscreen keyboard thenopen the options key and check Turn on numeric keys when the keypad shows clikc NUMLOCK on and your keypad should work.

This is the only thing that got mine working again after day s of frustration.

Hope it helps you. 

Honor Student
CH3COOH
Message 8 of 15 (22,206 Views)

Fairefriend:

I did try your suggestion but it didn't resolve my problem. My numeric keypad does work and can be toggled on and off using the num lock key. My problem is that I cannot set the computer to boot up with num lock on and active.

Your issue may be related to your computer not recognizing that you have a 101/102 key keyboard. I'd suggest you check -

Go to Control Panel. On Upper Right hand side set 'View By Large Icons.'

Select Keyboard

When Keyboard Properties box opens, click tab for Hardware

Mine shows: Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard with HP QLB

Perhaps yours does not...

CH3COOH

Tutor
Bob_in_PGI
Message 9 of 15 (21,309 Views)

New Information on This Problem:

I plugged an external keyboard into my HP notebook; set the NumLock ON restarted it.  After restart, the external keyboard light showed NumLock ON and its numeric keypad worked.  I.e... the external keyboard correctly followed the "the keypad function that is active when the computer is turned off will be reinstated when the computer is turned back on” logic.  This indicated a possible problem with the HP G70T notebook’s keyboard.

To further isolate the problem with the HP G70T keyboard, I opened a text file C:\Documents\TEST\TEST.txt to verify the actual HP G70T’s numeric key pad and NumLock light operation.

HP G70T Keyboard Tests and Results:

1.         Set the HP NumLock ON and Restart.

2.         After boot up, The NumLock light is OFF, but if you go to Documents/TEST/TEST.txt and type 1234567890 on the numeric keypad you will get numbers 1234567890 even though the NumLock light is OFF.

3.         Now press the NumLock key once: The NumLock light remains OFF and when you type numbers 1234567890 on the numeric keypad you will get End, ArDn, PgDn, ArLft, etc.

4.         Press the NumLock key again:  The NumLock light turns ON and when you type 1234567890 on the numeric keypad you will get numbers 1234567890

5.         Set the HP NumLock OFF and Restart.

6.         After boot up, The computer's NumLock light will be OFF and if you go to Documents\TEST\TEST.txt and type 1234567890 on the numeric keypad you will get End, ArDn, PgDn, ArLft etc.  Press the NumLock key again:  The NumLock light turns ON and when you type 1234567890 on the numeric keypad you will get numbers 1234567890.

I.e... the problem is the HP G70T NumLock light does not indicate ON status when it is actually ON after boot up.

Anyone who has this problem should test their computer by plugging an external keyboard into one of their computers USB ports and performing the above tests.  The test results may not exactly match the above results but, if the results show a difference between the computer's NumLock Indication and the external keyboards NumLock Indication, a computer hardware problem may be present.

Bob_in_PGI

Bob_in_PGI
Honor Student
mrefaat78
Message 10 of 15 (16,962 Views)

My laptop is hp probook 4530s and the windows version is windows 7

I followed the below procedures to activate the number lock & I succeeded:

1- Press ESC key while starting up the computer when you see a small message at the left bottom of the screen saying "press esc key for startup menu". be cautios, it only appears for few seconds.

2- Press F10 for Bios setup.

3- Press on the System Configuration tab.

4- Select Device Configuration from the list.

5- Mark on the check box in front of  Numlock on at boot.

6- Save & Exit

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation