How long is a laptop battery supposed to last (4645 Views)
Student
MoabylonArts
Message 1 of 3 (4,645 Views)

How long is a laptop battery supposed to last

I got a refurb DV7 and the battery may last 2 hours tops.

That is if I'm not doing anything- like photoshop or searching online:smileymad:

That really sucks if you want to watch a movie in a Campervan out in the woods

Student
Anaxandra
Message 2 of 3 (4,625 Views)

Re: How long is a laptop battery supposed to last

A notebook battery life on a charge will vary based on what power plan is the unit running as well as the applications you are running as well.
     I would recommend look at this HP document to see if your battery is working properly:\
HP Notebook PCs - Checking the Status of the Battery http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00821536&jumpi...

- Open Control Panel
- Make sure you are using Classic View by going to the top right and clicking on classic view
- Power Options
- See what plan you are currently using
- Click Change Plan Settings
- Set your options accordingly.

I hope this helps.

Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 3 (4,598 Views)

Re: How long is a laptop battery supposed to last

[ Edited ]

2 Hrs is probably about normal for the 17" screen laptops. My 14" screen model gets 2.5 to 3.5 depending on what I am doing. I bought an extra 'extended life battery' that gives around 5 hrs.These are a bit pricey ,but worth it in some situations.

You can probably get a bit better battery life by  turning off some of the 'eye candy'.. Right click the desktop and choose 'Personalize'. Under Themes choose Windows Classic.Also turn off anything you aren't using,such as the wireless and Bluetooth(if you have BT).

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation