Question

Honor Student
SK27
Message 1 of 4 (311 Views)

How to Remove windows 8.1

I updated to Windows 8.1 as it suggested . I now discover that my laptop HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11 Notebook PC is not compatable.  So now what do I do?  It annoys me that this was presented as a "do this" update.  I regret following like a lamb.  Can some one give me simple steps to remove it and go back to Windows 8?  I barely have learned all of it's features so it will be good to go back to it.  Thanks for your help.

PhD Student
IT_WinSec
Message 2 of 4 (301 Views)

Re: How to Remove windows 8.1

Hello,

Thank you for posting in HP Support forum.

Please, back-up your important files and data to an external source (e.g external hard disk drive).

After that please follow the instructions >here<  and perform recovery - video

Please, let me know If I can help you further.

Best wishes,
IT_WinSec
Technical support engineer
HP employee. MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MTA, CT
I express my personal opinion, not of HP. www.hp.com/makeitmatter
Honor Student
SK27
Message 3 of 4 (264 Views)

I looked at the site you told me to.  I am a lay person so much of it is "beyond me".  I have a flash drive and once before I had to back up my entire system on a laptop.  I didn't do it correctly so I need to know first....where is the register or main drive site that I go to to ensure I am backing up all of my files.  I am leery of doing the reset or recovery unless I am sure that I won't be losing my data.  Can you please give me a very simplistic reply or instruction?  Thank you for your help and your patience!

PhD Student
IT_WinSec
Message 4 of 4 (259 Views)

SK27 wrote:

I looked at the site you told me to.  I am a lay person so much of it is "beyond me".  I have a flash drive and once before I had to back up my entire system on a laptop.  I didn't do it correctly so I need to know first....where is the register or main drive site that I go to to ensure I am backing up all of my files.  I am leery of doing the reset or recovery unless I am sure that I won't be losing my data.  Can you please give me a very simplistic reply or instruction?  Thank you for your help and your patience!

Hello,

There is no such a register or main place somebody places or stores their files - there is no such unique place.

Some people place files in some location, other people in different.

I am afraid that unless I have the computer in front of me, or unless I connect to the machine remotely there is no 100% way for me to know where exactly on the disk your files are stored. You know this better :smileyhappy:

There is no universal recipe.

You might have placed files in the main c:\

or in different partition - I don't know

I would check in the main c:\ and also in C:\Users\(username)\

then in all subfolders such as Documents, Pictures, Videos, Desktop, Favourites, Music, Downloads, etc...

Just use MyComputer/Windows Explorer and browse all the folder you think there could be anythings. Generally speaking people don't store personal files in Program files, in Windows or in Users\(username)\AppData but who knows :smileyhappy:

Did you look at the video ? How do you find it ? Is there anything that is not clear ?

I am patient. Please, let me know if I can help you further. You can also contact me with private messages.

Best wishes,
IT_WinSec
Technical support engineer
HP employee. MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MTA, CT
I express my personal opinion, not of HP. www.hp.com/makeitmatter
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation