Question

Honor Student
Support450
Message 1 of 29 (180,714 Views)

How to change default on Function Keys?

We just purchased a Laptop G62-228CL, Windows 7 O/S and gave it to a Sales Rep who is out of town.  He called me this morning complaining that when he presses the function keys, they are used for sound, internet, etc., rather than standard function key use.  I advised him to press the "Fn" + F6 or F4, etc. to use it correctly.  This works, however, what do I need to do to change the default functionality of the function keys so the sound, internet, etc. is the secondary function?

Honor Student
mjhipkiss
Message 2 of 29 (180,664 Views)

Re: How to change default on Function Keys?

I would like an answer to this too.  I use the fn key s a lot more than the volume up and down and want them to behave as fn keys first, and vol up and down by pressing the fn button +fn key.

Somebody please help!

Tutor
cryptkicker
Message 3 of 29 (180,556 Views)

Yes, please answer this question!

Any user of Photoshop or other Adobe program that uses function keys as a means of shortcuts will go mad with the additional key press.

Thanks for your fast response, HP.

Tutor
cryptkicker
Message 4 of 29 (180,477 Views)

Disappointing that these forums for customer relations go so unnoticed.

In any case, I found similar forums regarding this issue. Here's one. Third response down tells more or less how to reverse the functionality of the function keys:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-questions/How-do-I-lock-and-unclock-the-FN-key/m-p/45...

Enter the system BIOS, disable the Action Key Mode, and the F Keys will then work as largely expected by most.

Student
RickD88
Message 5 of 29 (170,903 Views)

Thank you, cryptkicker, for the answer.

HP, let us know if you ever read this thread.

Honor Student
Mrwrite
Message 6 of 29 (154,445 Views)

With while you hold the Fin key than press F11
That will do
Honor Student
Mrwrite
Message 7 of 29 (154,445 Views)

Hold Fn than press F11
Honor Student
degroot51
Message 8 of 29 (153,587 Views)

[ Edited ]

Mrwrite wrote:
>> With while you hold the Fin key than press F11
>> That will do

Is that a joke? Cause it doesn't help at all.

Pressing fn + f11 toggles full screen mode of the active window -- at least on *my* brand new HP laptop.

What a horrible keyboard layout this thing has. I'm so stupid that I didn't even think to critically examine the keyboard before plopping down $700 for this thing. I totally regret buying this machine. I guess I was spoiled by my old Dell Inspiron 9300!

Top Student
StephanieQ
Message 9 of 29 (152,268 Views)

Hi everyone I also had this issue, I have a dv6 laptop. Go here and read it, it has printscreen pictures to run you through how to do it too:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02035108&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

Hope this solves your quesions!

Also forums, as on many sites, are run for users, where you post your questions and hopefully others can answer them. This is meant to be a way of finding help for those whose warrranty has ran out. As you know from 2010 HP charges money for support so the only free way is through users forums. This is why HP never anwers these things, otherwise it won't be free.

Student
awosome
Message 10 of 29 (137,349 Views)

look in the bios menu, you can change it there

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation