Question

Honor Student
estezim54
Message 1 of 4 (178 Views)

How to copy a cd to hard drive so I can burn to dvd

I have several backup cds which are getting old and I want to copy them to a dvd....what is the procedure for doing this? Nothing I have tried works.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 4 (173 Views)

Re: How to copy a cd to hard drive so I can burn to dvd

1. What kind of backup CD's, what software created them?

2. What OS are you using?

Honor Student
estezim54
Message 3 of 4 (171 Views)

The CDs are not by a backup program but copies of files on my computer...they were done by OS XP, but now my computer is Windows 7....H-P of course....and I'm sure I used a Windows program to copy those files to CD....So that should not be a cause.  I have put the CD in CD/DVD drrive and tried to send contents to my hard drive but I cannot find them.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 4 (169 Views)

If you know the name of one of the files, search your hard drive for it.

What I do do copy files off of a CD, once the CD is loaded, open Windows Explorer, click the cd drive on the left, in the right pane should show all the files on the disc, highlight all the files the right click and select "copy", then make a folder on the C drive, name it what you wish, then go inside that folder and right click "paste"

Do this for all your CD's, some CD's may have the same name of files on another cd, so you will have to copy them to another folder, do this for all the CD's.

Once this is done use your burning software to select all the files from all the folders you copied to, and burn as a Data DVD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation