How to do a pc recovery on a probook 4710s laptop (11347 Views)
Student
nariman1977
Message 1 of 2 (11,347 Views)

How to do a pc recovery on a probook 4710s laptop

Hi

Firstly, i know this is a business spec laptop, but I have bought it for my uni work as it has all the features I need.

Anyway, I need to do a full system recovery to put the laptop back in its factory default. It currently has windows7 professional 32bit installed.

I have looked at the literature, and it says to press F11 when booting up. But this doesn't do anything and laptop carries on booting using the HDD>

another option was to press 'esc' when booting up and then choose F11 in the option in there, but again there is no F11 option available when I boot up and press the esc key!

I have checked the drives, and there is a HP recovery partition size of 15Gb available.

I have also tried sing the DVDs that came with the laptop, but they don't work eiher and it seems that you can't boot up using the DVds for some reason. I can see that there is a folder called 'windowsimage' o similar on the DVD, so when I go to system restore part of windows7, it can't see that either!

The reason I need to do a recovery, is that  I am upgrading the laptop to 64bit windows7 and want to start from scratch.

i also need to kno how to do it incase i need to do it in future.

have spoken to the IT department of where I bought the unit from, they where useless and said to speak tp HP.

Spoke to HP and don't think the guy on the phone knew what he was doing either!

Any help appreciated.

Naz

Top Student
tploys
Message 2 of 2 (11,336 Views)

Re: How to do a pc recovery on a probook 4710s laptop

ZUsually the method I would use to have a laptop boot from the recovery cd/dvd is I would first boot into the BIOS usually by tapping several times the DEL key or the TAB Key or the F8 key depending on the model and operating syatem. Anyways once in tghe BIOS I would set the computer boot selection order to attempt booting from CD/DVD first, followed by Floppy Drive second and HDD last then save this setting. If the computer doesn't hav e media in either removable media drives it will automatically boot from the HDD just taking a little longer to check the removable media first during boot. Once thisx is set you should be able to boot from your recovery disks even in any OS on your HDD. Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation