Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I know you can set the numlock state (among others) using the InitialKeyboardIndicators value in the registry.  But, is there a way to set the keyboard backlit state to on at boot? 

Is this also a registry value?

Can it be done via a batch file or something Windows Scheduler to take that action at boot?

Laptop is a relatively new 17t-j100 running Windows 7 Pro.

All help is appreciated....

Scott

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Yea, nothing in the BIOS settings for it.  I wonder if there is a way to access it via a script?  If the keyboard responds to volume up/down, you would think you could do something via a startup script.  Pressing Fn + F5 causes the backlight to turn on.  Is there a way to automate those key strokes?  

OR, is there a better/known good BIOS for this machine?  HP locks out so much of what the BIOS vendor (Insyde) in this case usually makes available.  Current BIOS is Insyde F.63 running on an HP 17t-j100 (product ID J0G76AV).

Any possibilty on either of those two fronts? 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help, but the more I think about it, the more I am convinced it is in the hardware.   This is a "shared" key.  Pressing it turns on the backlight.  Pressing the Fn + F5 does something totally different, dependent on the application you are running.   So, this is not an F5 issue.  It's a backlight key issue and I seriously doubt there is a way around or nor that HP support will be of much assistance.  Not really knocking HP support, but unless you were able to talk with one of the engineers that helped design this, I doubt HP support is going to be able to tell me more than we have already discussed, if that much.

But, it was an interesting thought....

Scott

HP Recommended

I also have the HP Envy 17t-j100. Bios is F.56.  

Originally I was running Windows 8.1 and the backlite always came on at startup.  I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and the  backlite no longer is initiated at startup.

I spent a good amount of time determined to fix this problem without success.  I agree with your final conclusion that there is no solution.  I discovered that neither the fn nor the F5 key produce a key code.  So there is no way to create a program to turn the keyboard on at startup.  The keyboard lite switch is strictly under control of the BIOS as is further demonstrated by the fact that the fn - F5 keys can operate the lite prior to the operating system loading.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.