Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

SP66782.exe is what I get when I download from HP web site. It is a windows executable that updates the

bios on the computer that is running it. 

I dont think it will run without windows also running.

HP Recommended

Yes, when I try to install it asks for a product key. I give it a generic one, but then it says there are no disks (space) for installation. So perhaps my SATA internal cable is bad and drive not recognized, as the hard drive seems good, or perhaps it needed unallocated space, as opposed to an empty partition.

HP Recommended

@oakman2 wrote:

SP66782.exe is what I get when I download from HP web site. It is a windows executable that updates the

bios on the computer that is running it. 

I dont think it will run without windows also running.

Quite true. 

See the image below.

What is needed to be done is to extract the sp66782.exe file to a folder on the second computer.  

Rename the 018A4.FD file to 018A4.BIN and save it to the root of the usb flash drive.

Plug that flashdrive into a port on the problem notebook. 

Press the notebook's power button and immediately hold down the Windows key and the B key until the notebook reacts and begins the BIOS recovery. 

Hopefully that will recover the corrupt BIOS with the fresh copy that is on the flashdrive.   

There is a detailed description of another method to do this at the following 3rd party forum thread. 

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-SUCCESS-SOLVED-Semi-bricked-a-HP-dv6-3225dx

Using that method does involve some risk that you will have to accept should you choose to follow that path to unbrick your notebook. Any BIOS update done manually is risky.

BIOS extract.jpg

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

This looks promising, but when I execute the sp file, I dont get anything, just an error message. If it unpacks it somewhere, I dont see it, either on desktop or a temp directory. It gives me these error messages,

IHISI: Get support mode  fail in SMI

BIOS did not support InsydeFlash

which, since I run this on a non HP laptop, it is not surprizing that I get an error message and no files.

Any ideas on how to get the BIOS file?

Fred

HP Recommended

It would help if you identified your notebook with its complete product number or product name.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

From my original post:

How to update bios and uefi without a hard drive
Product Name: HP Envy m6 1125dx
HP Recommended

It seems from the image in a previous post that the bios file could be extracted from the spxx.exe file. From what I understand, there is no known hp way of getting the bios file, but there may be unsupported ways.

In the end, it sounds too risky, for now I will try to get the hp recovery disks to work. And then upgrade the

bios from there.

HP Recommended

From trying to collect all of the posts you have made on this laptop I have surmised that you received it used with no hdd and no Recovery Discs. Original hdd was 750 gb.You are attempting to install Windows 8 dvd on a 128 gb SSD which is not recognized by installer.

@erico maybe this is a better place to start?

@oakman2  Btw,you are correct.Any BIOS flash can be risky. Use 7Zip -free utilty- to extract the BIOS files.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

@CherylG

I have not seen where he stated that he has a 128GB SSD.

@oakman2

Your notebook is a newer generation that has a simplified method of recovery. On a different PC you can double click the BIOS sp66782.exe file and choose the option of creating a recovery flashdrive. You will need a usb flashdrive that is 1GB or larger to do this. See the following images.

BIOSUpdate1.jpg

BIOSUpdate2.jpg

Click on the drive that matches the usb flashdrive you have insertyed in a usb port for this purpose and then click on next to proceed.

BIOSUpdate3.jpg

BIOSUpdate4.jpg

Now all you should have to do is follow the instructions on the following Window to recover the corrupt BIOS by use of your recovery flashdrive.

BIOSUpdate5.jpg

HP Recommended

@oakman2

How about if we keep this discussion in your latest thread instead of spreading it out over different threads. Otherwise It gets confusing.

I might merge this thread with the other one later.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.