Question

Honor Student
KiNGHAI
Message 1 of 2 (6,838 Views)

How to use mSata drive as a cache on HP Elitebook Folio 9470m?

HI all,

I just bought a new HP Elitebook Folio 9470m, come with FreeDOS (special program from HP). This one is outstanding in my opinion. This laptop equipped with a mSata 32GB Flash drive (Samsung made). I want to take advantage of its speed, so decided to install Windows 8 on Flash drive. The speed was amazing, less than 10 seconds to show the desktop from cold boot. However, the size is too small to do anything, and I found out that people normally uses Flash drive for cache. It will does similar job to speed up the system, not as fast as install OS on the SSD, but good enough. However, I cannot find a way to utilize the flash drive. There are some options to use mSata flash drive as cache:

1. Intel Smart Response Technology: require Z68 and Z77 chipset. The Elitebook 9470m is equipped with QM77 Express, I'm not sure whether it is supported. I tried to follow the guideline, but don't see the option to enable Accelerator cache.

2. ExpressCache: Samsung and Lenovo laptop has this pre-installed. I wanted to try but don't have license for it.

3. VeloSSD.

I'll try the last option to see how it works. However, I think that as HP equipped the mSata, should it offer the solution to use it? Does anyone know the official guideline/solution to use mSata as a cache from HP?

Thanks,

Hai

Honor Student
KiNGHAI
Message 2 of 2 (6,813 Views)

Re: How to use mSata drive as a cache on HP Elitebook Folio 9470m?

[ Edited ]

I found this guide for Windows 7. It should be working if you are using Windows 7.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1227655/how-to-set-up-intel-smart-response-technology-ssd-caching

I'm trying the same with Windows 8, but stucked at loading RAID driver for Windows 8. The driver I got from Intel download center said that it supports Windows 8, but for some reasons Windows 8 still said that it "cannot be installed on this drive".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation