Question

Honor Student
lkn94
Message 1 of 4 (149 Views)

Hp pavilion g6

Can someone help me? The cooling fan in my pavilion is no longer working, I am unsure which fan I will need to purchase as a replacement. My laptop is a pavilion g6 1220sa. Is that enough info to give me the advice I need for a replacement ? Thanks in advance for your reply.
Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 4 (138 Views)

Re: Hp pavilion g6

Hello Ikn,

See Chapter 4, Page 84:

HP Pavilion G6 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

The part number you select depends on whether you are going to replace the whole assembly or just the fan.

Once you get your notebook apart you will see the exact part number on YOUR fan assembly.

Help to take apart the notebook:

How to Disassemble HP G62 or Compaq Presario CQ62 laptop

Help to replace the Thermal Paste:

How to apply thermal grease on laptop processor 

You can also go to YouTube and find lots of videos on this sort of thing -- if you have never taken apart your notebook before -- be warned -- you may break more than what you fix if you are not careful, so be prepared before you start.  Unexplained or left over parts after the job are never a good thing.  Smiling.

Good Luck!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

See a Post that is useful - or that teaches you something you did not know?

Your HP Experts are here to help.

Click the Kudos Star!  It is a great “Thank You” for the Author.

Solved?  Click this Post "Accept as Solution" to help others find a Fix.

Year of the Dragon 2012   Year of the Snake 2013

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
lkn94
Message 3 of 4 (122 Views)

Thank you i am greatful for your reply, i am the guy who has bits left over no matter what the job lol.

I have watched a lot of videos and will watch a few more before i lift a screw driver.

I bought alcohol wipes and paste to day, whether or not i purchase a whole complet unit will depend on price but hopefully the  fan will be sufficient.

I am glad of your support.

Can you recommend a good vender that will be helpful  and also isn't to pricey ? 

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 4 (117 Views)

I looked around and didn't find this part at my "usual" haunts for non-HP parts.  I checked a couple of places -- no stock on this part.  It may be out there.  EBay lists it; I don't shop on EBay for computer "anything".  :smileytongue:

Frankly, I would buy the part from the HP Parts Store

You sometimes pay a few more dollars for shopping at the HP store, though not always.

The advantage with buying from HP is that HP will stand behind the part - absolutely.

Doesn't work?  Send it back.  Broke?  Send it back.  Wrong?  Send it back.

=====================================================================================

If you are in the USA (or not?), you can probably call HP and ask for help with the purchase.  I've not had to do it this way, but it might well work.  I'd certainly make the call if I needed to ask a question.   It might even be worth a $60 service call to get some on-call advice if you could get a hold of someone who could answer some useful technical questions.  It is, admittedly, a bit "iffy" on the phone when you do not know whether you will end up speaking to a real hardware tech or a first line rep who has been on the job for two weeks.

Contact HP

Another option is to go to your local repair shop and beg for information.  For a smaller fee than the actual repair, you might be able to get some "help" in how to do the repair.  Even better, you might be able to get a diagnosis that includes all that is wrong with the unit:  If you don't have the tech "FIX" the box, and they are willing -- you might be able to get some help without paying for the whole repair -- a Consulting Fee, as it were.

Good Luck!

See a Post that is useful - or that teaches you something you did not know?

Your HP Experts are here to help.

Click the Kudos Star!  It is a great “Thank You” for the Author.

Solved?  Click this Post "Accept as Solution" to help others find a Fix.

Year of the Dragon 2012  Year of the Snake 2013

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation