I want to know how to get warranty service from HP when Staples denied me. (1087 Views)
Student
CandySell
Message 1 of 5 (1,087 Views)

I want to know how to get warranty service from HP when Staples denied me.

I bought a HP Pavilion and bought exteneded warranty from Staples in Flushing NY.  My hard drive went dead and I check it with the UT that's in the BIOS.  It said replace hard drive and I assume that means hardware failure and thus bring it to Staples.  Staples' technician said since I installed another OS than the original, I voided my warranty.   I think that's just a way to cheat money and deny service.   If putting another software in the system  voids hardware warranty, then am I supposed to insolate my machine from the rest of the internet or at least deny every request to install activeX????

HP rep,

if you read this, please respond to me by email.

General readers,

I am trying to find the link of HP warranty service.

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 5 (1,085 Views)

Re: I want to know how to get warranty service from HP when Staples denied me.

Sotware changes do not void hardware warranty.

Contact HP:

http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Teacher
KREAMEDCORN
Message 3 of 5 (1,077 Views)

When did you buy the nb? If it was within one year then call hp. They will replace the hdd and you will have to reinstall the original os and do the upgrade again. If you are in warranty there could be a support fee to troubleshoot and there will be charges for replacement parts or repairs. Hp does support the hardware but not the upgraded operating system any problems you get with os will have to be directed to whom ever the manufacturer of the os is.

Signature:
I am a HP Totalcare employee for Notebook support. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Teacher
mrdel83
Message 4 of 5 (1,068 Views)

I suggest you call HP support and tell them your HDD is dead... i dont think changing OS voids warranty..

anyways when they change your HDD you will have option to install OS from scratch. choose wisely..use recovery disks if you dont need to change the OS that notebook came with.

PhD Student
Gangles
Message 5 of 5 (1,061 Views)

Changing software does not void your hardware warrenty. Hp can only troubleshoot the original factory installed OS so If you ever called for support with another operating system the only resolution would be to roll back into factory. For a hardware issue defined in the system bios HP can replace the hardware if you are under warrenty at no cost regardless of the OS that was installed during the time of failier

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation