Question

Top Student
Kantesh
Message 1 of 8 (3,549 Views)

Installing Ubuntu 11.04 to my HP Envy 14.

[ Edited ]

Hi,   

I have HP Envy 14 with 500GB HDD and windows 7 Home Premium. Initially only one hard disc volume was there i.e C drive. I divided it into two more of  100GB each, using Shink volume option. That time my C drive turned to be a Simple volume. Now I want to install ubuntu 11.04 to my laptop to one of the 100GB drive. Can I install it without harming the current status of the system?(windows 7). I am asking this question because. while shinking the volumes I saw an error dialog that says, A secondary OS  could not be installed if Primary drive is a Simple volume or something like that (not exactly). Please give me proper info. I am fed up with data loses.:smileyhappy:

Tutor
Pihkal82
Message 2 of 8 (3,542 Views)

Re: Installing Ubuntu 11.04 to my HP Envy 14.

Hi,

i don't know how the shrink option does its thing but assuming you've created 2 (or more) seperate partitions it shouldn't be a problem.

You could boot in Gparted first to check what kind of partitions (if any) you"ve created,if it checks out ok,go ahead.

Keep in mind that the MBR will be modified by Linux,it has to install it's bootloader (GRUB/LILO) there but this shouldn't cause any problems.

Tip: Make a backup anyway,you never know.

Hope this answers your question.

Greetz

Top Student
Kantesh
Message 3 of 8 (3,530 Views)

Hey thank you Pihkal, I remember that i saw some where, MBR gets modified if C drive turns out to be a simple volume. I want to make sure that it doesn't affect windows booting. I don't know about Gparted, how to do it and how to check?

Tutor
Pihkal82
Message 4 of 8 (3,520 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,the MBR will always be modified,since bios will always try to boot from it.
Linux will save the original MBR (from windows),instead it installs a boot menu wich allows you to choose between linux & windows.
If windows is chosen it will chainload the original MBR and continue booting windows.
As for Gparted,this i a small linux distribution designed to view/modify the partition table,it comes as a bootable iso wich can boot from usb/cd/dvd.
Look here for more info/download: Gparted
In case you screw up the MBR,don't panic,it can easily be restored without data loss.
This is explained here: Repair Windows MBR

So even if windows fails to boot it's always reversible,assuming you have a windows dvd.

Edit:

I've been looking into windows disk volumes and they don't appear to be the same as partitions.

However they can be converted into a real partition.

In Disk Management (were you shrunk your drive) you can delete the volume you've created before and replace the free space with a real primary/extended partition instead.

Here's the article from MS: Convert Vol to Part

This is for XP but should work on Vista/Win 7.

In case this doesn't work,just delete the volume,leave as free space and create a partition with gparted.

Greets

Top Student
Kantesh
Message 5 of 8 (3,484 Views)

I do not have WIn7 dvd but the system image for Envy 14 provided by HP. It Makes my Hard disk as it was fresh while buying laptop. Thats why i am holding back to take risk.

Is it better to install using "install on windows" or boot it from CD?

Thank you.

Tutor
Pihkal82
Message 6 of 8 (3,462 Views)

It could work with the recovery partition,if it allows you to open a command prompt you're fine.
On the other hand there will still be some risk when you don't have a dvd.

If you messed up big time the recovery partition can become unbootable wich leaves you with a black screen and no other option to repair.
It would be wise to borough the dvd from a friend,it's always better to have a "plan b".

There's also a way to repair the MBR using Ubuntu,so you won't need the windows dvd,but i've never tried this myself.

Anyway,here"s a link explaining how it can be done using Ubuntu: Repair Windows MBR using Ubuntu

Greets

Top Student
Kantesh
Message 7 of 8 (3,445 Views)

Hey, I could not even crash my windows. I dared to install ubuntu using "install on windows" option, after reboot I could not boot to ubuntu, my screen went blank. I waited restarted system and uninstalled ubuntu. I tried by booting from ubuntu cd. The graphical UI is not as shown in the Ubuntu site. If i select any option like run live cd or install ubuntu, the same thing happens, screen goes blank. FYI I'm trying 64bit Ubuntu 11.04.

Tutor
Pihkal82
Message 8 of 8 (3,422 Views)

[ Edited ]

Weird,today I've installed Ubuntu 11.04 x64 on a pendrive and it booted flawlessly,this was on a HP DV7 6085-eb.
After the install,when you rebooted,did you get a boot menu or immediately a black screen?
Since you said you were unable to crash windows,i'm assuming windows still boots normally?
If this is the case the MBR didn't got updated correctly,perhaps an anti-virus was interfering?
The live cd should work,you could before you select run live cd press Tab,on the bottom of the screen a prompt appears with a string of text append following commands to that string: noapic nolapic nomodeset

Now press run live cd and see if that works.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation