emma14
Message 1 of 104 (8,922 Views)

Is it possible to install a backlit keyboard for my new dm4? Willing to pay

nwp Tutor
Tutor
nwp
Message 2 of 104 (8,877 Views)

Re: Is it possible to install a backlit keyboard for my new dm4? Willing to pay

I am investigating this very idea.  So far I have learned that the dm4 and the dv5 share the same standard keyboard.  So I decided to check if a dv5 backlit keyboard physically fits a dm4, and the good news is it does.  The bad news is, the backlit keyboard has an extra cable going to a connector on the mainboard of the dv5.  This connector is conveniently absent from the dv4 mainboard.  However, small solder bumps are visible where the connector should be.  I believe with some careful soldering, the backlit keyboard could be done.  Do you have any experience with this sort of thing.  I am planning to try after I acquire the right equipment.  Let me know your thoughts.  Take care.

D. A.

Top Student
emma14
Message 3 of 104 (8,849 Views)

unfortunately, i have no experience with installing a keyboard. if i were to get one, i would probably have to send my laptop back to hp and have someone do it for me. it would be great if they made this option available. i'm glad you think it can possibly be done! keep me updated on any new information :smileyhappy:

Grad Student
alt_164
Message 4 of 104 (8,829 Views)

nwp: nice, keep everyone updated if its possible

emma: sending it to HP will not help, even if youre willing to pay for it. Their system will only give them all oem parts that came with your computer where in backlit keyboard was not one of them. Good luck to eveyone..

Tutor
diggler86
Message 5 of 104 (8,785 Views)

any progress?  i am also considering this and believe it can probably be done.

Top Student
emma14
Message 6 of 104 (8,752 Views)

no progress... still waiting and hoping

Tutor
diggler86
Message 7 of 104 (8,750 Views)

I am supposed to receive a dv5 keyboard in a few weeks.  I just need to see what type of ZIF slot is required for the backlight cable, and see if can acquire a similar type.   Also take some measurements too see if those solder bumps are actually enabled.  Im really hoping this is possible it would add so much usability to the dm4.

nwp Tutor
Tutor
nwp
Message 8 of 104 (8,736 Views)

Hello all,  yes the bumps are active.  I was playing with lining up the flat ribbon cable from the keyboard with the bumps on the motherboard.  The keyboard briefly lit up and then I managed to short two of the bumps and shut the system down.  It appears the bumps were pre planning for a backlit keyboard.  If you find a ZIF socket, let me know where to source it.  I think with some very careful soldering, a person could attach some very small wires between the keyboard ribbon cable and the motherboard.  This may be necessary as the bumps on the dm4 are oriented 90 degrees relative to how they are on a dv5.  Makes it so the ribbon cable does not align well.  Darn HP and holding off on this option.  I am going to have to invest in a new soldering iron before I attempt this mod.  Will keep posted.  Take care all

Tutor
diggler86
Message 9 of 104 (8,723 Views)

That is very encouraging nwp, thanks.  Inspired me to take a look at the board.

I ordered a few ZIF sockets to try out.  Will keep posted, but it will be a few weeks.  If possible, would like to try those as soldering cable directly to the board would be challenging, though I think some very thin stranded cable is doable.

Looks like I will have to get a super thin soldering tip to get in there, and use a magnifying glass!

Top Student
ceezy
Message 10 of 104 (8,706 Views)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation