Issue with Password and Finger Scanner Security (446 Views)
Honor Student
Lar-in-OB
Message 1 of 5 (446 Views)

Issue with Password and Finger Scanner Security

I have set up a password and finger print scan option to start the computer and Windows on my HP DV6T Select laptop.  I have used the finger scanner almost exclusively.  Over time I forgot the password.  Now I would like to change the password so I can have it as a backup if the finger print scan fails.  What would I do to change the password?  When I go to the User Accounts within the Control Panel, it requires that I enter the old password to change the password.  Is there a way to change the password without knowing the old password? 

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 2 of 5 (432 Views)

Re: Issue with Password and Finger Scanner Security

Without know current/old password you cannot change or remove the password of the computer.

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
Lar-in-OB
Message 3 of 5 (426 Views)

Does anyone else have a suggestion.  I know one can buy some software that will erase the password, but I was hoping not to spend any money to fix my forgotten password problem.

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 4 of 5 (406 Views)

[ Edited ]

Try this and check.
1. Type "cmd" in start menu search box. Press ctrl + Shift + Enter key to open command prompt in elevated mode or Right click cmd in search results and click "Run as administrator".
2. In command prompt window type net user <account name> <new password>

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Student
danushan
Message 5 of 5 (101 Views)

kamat_hp wrote:

Without know current/old password you cannot change or remove the password of the computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation