Keyboard issue for HP G62 (21692 Views)
Honor Student
planet_earth24
Message 1 of 11 (21,692 Views)
Accepted Solution

Keyboard issue for HP G62

[ Edited ]

I've bought an HP G62 earlier today. However, the alt-f4 doesn't work. Instead of closing a window, it does something else. It differs depending on the window type (browser vs. msn and etc...).

This is what happens when I pressed alt-f4 for an internet explorer window. Notice how rather than closing the window, it uses another function.

More interestingly, when I connect my laptop to a desktop keyboard and press alt-f4 on that, the windows closes normally. I think somehow my laptop is confusing the f4 key with a special function key. However, I have no idea as to how to disable that or change it so that I can use the alt-f4 command to close windows.

Thanks.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 2 of 11 (21,681 Views)

Re: Keyboard issue for HP G62

You Can disable that functionality by disabling "Action Keys Mode" in the BIOS...

Here is the document, that will help you with it... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02035108&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 3 of 11 (21,670 Views)

[ Edited ]

F4 (or any other F numbered key) is only available if you use the Fn key with it, not sure if it will work with alt F4, I don't like it either. Seems a shame you have to disable all the action keys, it would be better if you could toggle what keys are used with Fn, action or F keys. A bad design.

@planet_earth24, I bought the same model last week, so far so good, I did have a problem with the cursor freezing intermittently using the touchpad, tried all the synaptics drivers, finally I removed Norton and that solved it.

Edit: just confirmed Fn+Alt+F4 works

Honor Student
garyreeves93
Message 4 of 11 (15,664 Views)

I bought the G62 and i'm also having problems. I can't click links in some websites or e-mails. The function keys were causing problems but pressing fn at the same time seems to solve this. I wish they had included a proper user manual instead of that online help thing which seems to be useless. Apart from that i am reasonably pleased with it. Hopefully someone can help with the link clicking problem.

Honor Student
rishabh
Message 5 of 11 (15,582 Views)

Hey buddy,

all you have to do is Press ALT+FN+F4..It'll work..

Honor Student
here_miah
Message 6 of 11 (13,932 Views)

so, what would cause the keyboard to go all retarded while trying to play games?  I have Half-Life 2 and Portal on my G62-144DX, Windows 7 Ultimate- every time I open one of them and try to re-designate the keys for movement, the letters come up as numbers- the weird thing is that the number changes, sequentially with each subsequent key press (eg: "a" becomes 5, but if i press it again it it's 6, then 7 etc. then restarts to 1, never 0)...

It's frusterating and a little retarded, any ideas- any at all?

Student
CoolGeek-UK
Message 7 of 11 (13,386 Views)

I am extremely disappointed with my decision to buy HP-G62. The keyboard is just a nuisance.

I don't know what made the designer of this laptop think that changing the way function keys work is acceptable .....

Imagine frustration I go through while using Excel or trying to logon to office network remotely which requires continuous usage of function keys...

What makes it worse is that there isn't a straightforward way of changing laptop's behaviour................

I have been fan of HP products from a long time, all my laptops were HP, my printer is HP. my digital camera was HP... and so on..... but with every product i buy I see a desire of HP to play with design of the stuff they sell..

I am so frustrated now that I will be selling my laptop if I don't get function keys to work 'normally' resolved within next 5 days.. and I would never ever buy any HP product again unless I have an extremely compelling reason to do so.

Bottomline.. help me guys.. I want normal function keys.. OR else I would have to change my laptop..........

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 8 of 11 (13,376 Views)

CoolGeek-UK wrote:

I am extremely disappointed with my decision to buy HP-G62. The keyboard is just a nuisance.

I don't know what made the designer of this laptop think that changing the way function keys work is acceptable .....

Imagine frustration I go through while using Excel or trying to logon to office network remotely which requires continuous usage of function keys...

What makes it worse is that there isn't a straightforward way of changing laptop's behaviour................

I have been fan of HP products from a long time, all my laptops were HP, my printer is HP. my digital camera was HP... and so on..... but with every product i buy I see a desire of HP to play with design of the stuff they sell..

I am so frustrated now that I will be selling my laptop if I don't get function keys to work 'normally' resolved within next 5 days.. and I would never ever buy any HP product again unless I have an extremely compelling reason to do so.

Bottomline.. help me guys.. I want normal function keys.. OR else I would have to change my laptop..........

The function key beahvior can be changed in the bios.posted on the first page of this thread, second post.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02035108&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

Student
Matza
Message 9 of 11 (11,131 Views)

Hello. If we are on keyboard isuess well i bought the same G62 laptop only my problem is that i kinda broke the keyboard and i`m looking for months to buy a new **bleep** keyboard.

I have an hp g62 b61es , well warranty will not cover an accident so please if any of you know a website where i can buy a keyboard for this model please post here.

Thank  you  in advance

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 10 of 11 (11,116 Views)

Here is the Service manual for your model, all the keyboard part numbers will be in the "Illustrated Parts Catalog" section.

You can then google the Hp part number to find a good price, also check eBay.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation