Question

Honor Student
MiGRunner
Message 1 of 6 (12,918 Views)

Laptop Keyboard Fn Keys

I have an HP laptop. Is there a way to lock the Fn button? I work with an app that uses F keys a lot, and pushing the Fn key each time is a pain. I have gone into the BIOS. The Fn key is activated and I dont need to press the Fn key while in the BIOS section. Also, F1 (Help) works without pressing the Fn key. This makes me think it is windows or an HP customization.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 6 (12,906 Views)

Re: Laptop Keyboard Fn Keys

De activate the fn keys in the bios, see what happens.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 3 of 6 (12,897 Views)

You Can disable that functionality by disabling "Action Keys Mode" in the BIOS...

Here is the document, that will help you with it... http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02035108&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Honor Student
MiGRunner
Message 4 of 6 (12,878 Views)

That worked. Thank you.

Student
zllch
Message 5 of 6 (3,960 Views)

I am having the problem that I need hold fn + f keys , so I found this solution from HP site and I did follow this straight forward instruction for the new lap tops I am setting up, the strange thing is on my computer, the action key mode already set to "Enable" mode,  I do not know why is not working, so I tried to set to "Disable" mode, then f10 save + exit restart , the result is same, then change back to "Enable" mode, no matter what I changed, still need hold fn then press other F keys. I do not know why this is not working.. By the way I have two new HP Pavillion g7 windows 8 laps, they all have the same behaviors, which the disable/enable action key mode seeting from bios is not workable ? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help! 

Student
Message 6 of 6 (1,304 Views)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation