Laptop Shuts Down Unexpectedly (35136 Views)
Top Student
NHuser
Message 1 of 20 (35,136 Views)

Laptop Shuts Down Unexpectedly

The laptop just shuts down with no warning notice. It goes down dark, no restart. there is no startup message. The battery is charged, A/C is plugged in with blue light illuminated. I've set all "sleep" settings to "never". but this happens while I'm actively using the laptop. This is happening with increasing frequency - 2 or 3 times/week now.

Running Vista Home Basic on a Presario C700

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks

PhD Student
Gangles
Message 2 of 20 (35,134 Views)

Re: Laptop Shuts Down Unexpectedly

This is typical of an overheating issue. Make sure you are not using the notebook on your lap and blocking the vents.

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
Teacher
mrdel83
Message 3 of 20 (35,118 Views)

it looks like you have a over heating issue...

Check your system's temperature by using CPUID Hardware monitor or Speedfan (Just google it).

Record the temperature and reply back with actual data.

If your system is overheating then you need to find the cause of overheating..

If your system is new then you might be blocking air inlets or vents...or heat transfer material might have burnt(If burnt get it replaced by a professional).

If your system is old(more than 6 months old) then i think air vents are blocked and you need to clean it (blow air in it).

anyways do post you temp readings....

Top Student
NHuser
Message 4 of 20 (35,110 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for both replies.

Although it was sitting on a flat surface prior to my post,  the base felt hot to me, so I cleaned out the small air intake under the LT and left it running over-night and sitting on a small block raised about 3 inches in the air, being sure not to block the air intake.

After reading your reply, I downloaded Speedfan and the reading I get for Core is 70C. Again, that's after running all night sitting up high. What is the temp shut-off limit?

It was originally sitting on one of those large paper calendar desk pads. The paper doesn't take the heat away very well  - and that's a bad idea anyway! It doesn't get moved very often. I'll temporarliy replace the LT on the pad and see how high the temp gets and compare it to what you say is the shut down temp just to validate the solution.

For long term, I'll set the laptop on something to keep it a bit higher than the four little rubber feet and see if that solves the problem.

Again, I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Teacher
mrdel83
Message 5 of 20 (35,106 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi

you mentioned your CORE temp is 70C...i believe you have a intel CPU and for intel this reading is way tooooo hot.

I am shocked to read 70C.

I dont know what exactly your CPU model is , i googled it but got different CPUs for C700 model.

Please also mention what your CPU model is so that i can tell you cutoff limit for that infact you could also check cutoff temp for your model (just google it).

anyways i think for intel cpu max of 60C is enough and for AMD cpu 70-75C is enough.

please also check if your system's fan are running fine.

If fans are running fine and inlets and outlets are fine (no blockage) then one other reason that comes to my mind is .. you might have burnt thermal paste on the processor.

A thermal pad or paste is used between processor and heat sink to remove heat efficiently.

A burnt our pad or paste is not a big problem...but you need to get it replaced with a new one.

Try to find the actual problem for heat and get it fixed by a professional.

If your system is under warranty then call support and tell them your system is overheating.

Whatever you do please post the result.

I am not an expert so please consult a professional before doing anything to your system.

EDITED: i dont think you need to run your system over night....run it for about 30-40 mins and you will get the actual reading...

Top Student
NHuser
Message 6 of 20 (35,103 Views)

Thanks.

I have a Celeron M CPU 530@1.73 GHz processor. I've had the unit for 2 years. The fan sounds like the normal run speed. The intake and outlet are not blocked. I couldn't find a link for what the shut off temp would be for this processor, but will keep looking.

Teacher
mrdel83
Message 7 of 20 (35,102 Views)

did you clean your system properly?

Check this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01657439

if you are sure that your system is clean then i am quite sure that you have a heatsink issure..try replacing thermal paste.

I have an amd processor RM-74 2.2 Ghz and its cutoff temp is 100C... for intel it should be less. that may be the reason for your notebook to shutoff.

Top Student
NHuser
Message 8 of 20 (35,099 Views)

I'll get a can of compressed air and follow those instructions. If that doesn't help I'll take it for repair.

Thanks for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Honor Student
simonaa
Message 9 of 20 (35,007 Views)

I have the same problems. Actually it happened for the first time two months after i bought it last year. When things got worse, the laptop was shutting down 4 times in a day. I sent it to repair, and the fan has been changed. Shortly after, the same problem happened again and now it shuts down as much. The core temperature detected with speedfan is 96C.

The model is a pavillion dv5 1135 ef.

I am really upset with the service providden by HP. My warranty is now expired by two months, but the problem was detected way before and had never been solved.

I wrote to HP, but nothing has come to help me yet.

Any suggestion?

Top Student
NHuser
Message 10 of 20 (34,997 Views)

I used some canned air and blew out the vents and intakes and the operating temperature went from 70C to 50C. The unit has been in the 50s for about one day now. I'm watching it, but that may have done the trick.

Here is a table of max temps for different chips. See if yours is reaching max temp.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=maxtemp.shtml

Give the canned air a try. It may do the job, especially if the unit has been operating in a dusty environment.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation