Question

Top Student
IvanSisk98
Message 1 of 8 (1,347 Views)

Laptop Virus!

Hello!

My Laptop (HP PAVILION TX2530ea recently received a virus! I just need to be able to COMPLETELY CLEAR my hard drive (without clearing the OS) without turning the laptop on because the virus won't let me turn the laptop on!!

Can anybody help me PLEASE!?!?!

Thank-You! 

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 8 (1,325 Views)

Re: Laptop Virus!

Hi,

On the link below is the download and instructions for creating a bootable Antivirus CD.  Create this on another PC, start your laptop long enough to be able to open the CD/DVD drive, insert the Antivirus CD and then restart the laptop and follow the instructions.

http://www.techmixer.com/kaspersky-rescue-disk-load-kaspersky-antivirus-2009-using-dos/

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
IvanSisk98
Message 3 of 8 (1,300 Views)

Hi,

Thank-You so much for replying! :smileyvery-happy:

I will try this as soon as I can on my computer!:smileyvery-happy:

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 8 (1,294 Views)

Hi,

Ok, let me know how you get on.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 5 of 8 (1,280 Views)

After you have run the AV boot CD and cleaned the PC

Then:
Install free MBAM, run the program and go to the Update tab and update it, then go to the Scanner Tab and do a quick scan, select and remove anything it finds.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

When MBAM is done install SAS free version, run a quick scan, remove what it automatically selects.
http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

These last 2 are not AV softwares like Norton, they are on demand scanners that only scan for nasties when you run the program and will not interfere with your installed AV, these can be run once a week or day to ensure you are not infected. Be sure you update them before each weekly-daily scan.

Student
JJPoe28
Message 6 of 8 (1,270 Views)

My husband and I both have HP laptops, and apparently between last night to early morning our laptops was doing their usual health check up recommended critical updates.  And My laptop for some reason every time I try to get on internet explorer, a pop asking if I want to allow, dw20.exe to run.   And there was no way I could access anything on my laptop.  I tried everything I no, and I couldn't use my internet explorer so I restarted my computer and tried again, same problem so this time I said Okay on it still can't use my internet explorer. so I figured somethings not right so I restored my system to the last day that the laptop was working.  And suddenly my Wireless router notifcation pops up constantly saying my password has changed please sign in new password.  and my Mcafee wasn't able to run or turn on.  So I tried the restore system or files again and this time everything was like earlier.  The pop up still wouldn't go away So I went on my iphone and did some research, and found out that I could use the internet explorer (with out add ons) so I did and now it's working for now.   BUT, I got to my huband's laptop and it was black screen but lights on the keyboard so I turned it off and turn it back on and it wont pass starting windows.    WHAT Does that mean?  Does that mean HP update send us a bad batch or what??  My husband thinks that HP might have been hacked.  Or is it our laptops that just having bad bios or someone has sent us a virus some other way?  Please tell me if anyone has had or have the same problem as me and my husband.  Please.  Thank you.

Student
lherrera
Message 7 of 8 (584 Views)

I have an HP labtop and every time I go to use the internet it is so slow.  I don't use this computer much so I am not sure if it has a virus.  Can anyone help?  How can I check to see if there is a virus and if there is how can I get rid off it.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 8 of 8 (581 Views)

lherrera wrote:

I have an HP labtop and every time I go to use the internet it is so slow.  I don't use this computer much so I am not sure if it has a virus.  Can anyone help?  How can I check to see if there is a virus and if there is how can I get rid off it.

If you have AntiVirus software installed (which you should), you can run a full system scan using that.

or you can read this to do an offline scan of the hard drive 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation