Question

Student
dockjmj
Message 1 of 4 (2,785 Views)

Laptop starts and shuts down

I have a HP Pavilion dv7-1260us.  I have had it for under a year now and it has been working very well.  However, today I was playing a game (on Facebook) and had to leave the laptop.  I put it in the hibernate mode and after awhile came back.  I tapped the power button and windows started to resume and everything came back up normally.  I resumed my game and got up to get something from the kitchen came back seconds later and the laptop was off.  I tried to restart the laptop and it begins to start and boot then shuts off.  I have tried the hard reset procedure, I even made sure the CMOS battery was set properly.  All good there.  Nothing seems to be working.  It has even made it through the boot process once and windows came up and then shut down.  That only happened once.  Now all it does is try and start (lights come one, beep sound, fan runs) and trys to boot then immediately shuts itself down.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! 

Master's Graduate
phttech
Message 2 of 4 (2,764 Views)

Re: Laptop starts and shuts down

some additional steps to try

first see if you can boot to Bios press the F10 key while booting

if so in Bios press the F9 key to restore defaults then F10 to save and exit

see link for more troubleshooting steps and information

Overview of How to Troubleshoot Problems When a Computer Does Not Start Up or Boot Properly

While I work on behalf of HP I'm not speaking for HP but trying to provide best effort support.
Student
bubbaepp
Message 3 of 4 (183 Views)

My hp laptop starts up , fans running, lights on then shuts down with one beep. Can someone help me with this?
HP Support Agent
Great-Deku-Tree
Message 4 of 4 (164 Views)

Hello @bubbaepp ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

It would help to know which product and operating system you are using.

For information on finding your product and model numbers click here: How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
To see which version of Windows you are using click here: Which Windows operating system am I running?

Here is a good place to start troubleshooting startup problems (choose which link best represents your issue):
Computer Does Not Start and the LEDs Blink or the Computer Beeps
Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot

I look forward to your reply!

The Great Deku Tree
I work on behalf of HP.

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation